Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shaibah Then & Now

Article about: Some of you may know about Shaibah. It is in southern Iraq, and was used by Saddams Airforce during both gulf wars,(when they could take off) but a little know fact is it was built by the Br

Default Re: Shaibah Then & Now

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I remember going on runs around the old part of the airfield back on Op Telic 5. I knew it was Ex-RAF, but these are the first photos of I've seen from then.

Great to see them.
    I would think that by Telic 5 the place was unrecognisable. The Army threw so much money at that place, turning it into a workable stores holding. I've attached a couple more photos.

I look a bit "dazed" at the crossed swords square and thats because we had just finished a fire fight
    One "local" with a very lucky escape!" and yes that is a bullet hole!
    Camp Victory, aptly named by the yanks
    And Rememberence Sunday at the British War Memorial just outside Shaibah.

Sadly, or thankfully I never got to sight see in Baghdad it wasn't the sort of thing I was interested in at the time
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shaibah Then & Now   Shaibah Then & Now  

Shaibah Then & Now   Shaibah Then & Now  

Shaibah Then & Now  

ian
    ?

pics of shieber log base late 2005
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shaibah Then & Now   Shaibah Then & Now  

Shaibah Then & Now   Shaibah Then & Now  

Del Boy's gift shop was there when I was there. He had a place near the gym. He must have done well to get a bigger store

Selling complete junk. Trouble was, no one was allowed to take gear out of theatre. And there were no Americans there when i was there, no metal covers, just tent city ( and making use of the old buildings. The clock tower had a room that was bricked up..........That was like a red rag to a bull. We spent about 2 hours knocking through only to find it was an old prison cell. Nothing in it though

ian
    ?

that us 5 ton truck was right over the back of camp it was abandond by the yanks during gulf2 there were no yanks on the base beside the few international police liason officers who i was working for at the time

dont worry the locals will get it back to work and it add to all the other stuff we have given them when we go back in another ten years when its all gone fubar .

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I would think that by Telic 5 the place was unrecognisable. The Army threw so much money at that place, turning it into a workable stores holding. I've attached a couple more photos.

I look a bit "dazed" at the crossed swords square and thats because we had just finished a fire fight
    One "local" with a very lucky escape!" and yes that is a bullet hole!
    Camp Victory, aptly named by the yanks
    And Rememberence Sunday at the British War Memorial just outside Shaibah.

Sadly, or thankfully I never got to sight see in Baghdad it wasn't the sort of thing I was interested in at the time
    good thread john cool as ya like in those pics just after a firefight gotta love it!!

all you guys did a great job there imo. few of my mates were in the gulf 2 and they often yap of op telic 13 etc and i have no clue atall

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2