Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaibah Then & Now

Article about: Some of you may know about Shaibah. It is in southern Iraq, and was used by Saddams Airforce during both gulf wars,(when they could take off) but a little know fact is it was built by the Br

Default Shaibah Then & Now

Some of you may know about Shaibah. It is in southern Iraq, and was used by Saddams Airforce during both gulf wars,(when they could take off) but a little know fact is it was built by the British in 1919. most of the building are standing, although they are in a sorry state now, after constant bombardment. I found, just by chance a few bits relating to the airfield in my mother in laws photograph suitcase . It turns out her Father was at Shaibah in the late 20's, with 84 Sqn, and he had a few newspaper cuttings. What was the chances of that! The hanger was being used as 5 Btn Workshops, a good comparison from the picture from the air can be made

Note the photograph of the big mossie. They were into retouching then!

Because I found the cuttings when I came back I couldn't do a straight comparison but luckily I had taken some similar

Oh, and the Tank.....was just sitting there
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shaibah Then & Now   Shaibah Then & Now  

Shaibah Then & Now   Shaibah Then & Now  

Shaibah Then & Now  

?

Default Re: Shaibah Then & Now

Very interesting John, it hasn't changed very much apart from the damage
    !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Well it has now As the British Army made that the main base, it had shed loads of money thrown at it new roads new fences, even pizza hut! I haven't seen any pictures of there since i left in 2004, i bet its changed dramatically

I have no idea what this place is. But what the heck is up with those people and that giant dragonfly thing. Is it a photoshop or are they working on a model or what?

I spent two weeks there, one week we spent re training after the war (Iraq 2) to go patroling areas, we went 80 km north of Basra and we then spent another week there waiting for our flight back to the UK, lived in a bivie on the side of a 4 ton bedford (had no pizza hut though, but the yank canteen shop great for ciggies and choccie bars)
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    I spent two weeks there, one week we spent re training after the war (Iraq 2) to go patroling areas, we went 80 km north of Basra and we then spent another week there waiting for our flight back to the UK, lived in a bivie on the side of a 4 ton bedford (had no pizza hut though, but the yank canteen shop great for ciggies and choccie bars)
    Those were the days eh Ben. Bivving under the stars. I was on Telic 1/2 when we first got there, it was a dump, with nothing, not even a decent bog. A while past and it was still a dump. We got bumped every night, and because it is near to Basra, they came in, and bugged straight out. I slept in a shed, on the floor, with no luxury's for 7 weeks, REME, LAD 1st line, keeping the chunkies (pies an ears) on patrol. funny thing is, I never miss it

Hey John, I was attached to the JNBCR as a liason officer, I spent the war with the USMC main command post, it was good at first, we were at Camp Commando, mess hall, showers etc but when they started lobbing Scuds around we went mobile into a tented CP in the desert, ended up at Bagdad Airport. After we reroled and we were given a TOAR to control, we ended up 20 km north of Al Kerna, good old days eh
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 05-01-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Hey John, I was attached to the JNBCR as a liason officer, I spent the war with the USMC main command post, it was good at first, we were at Camp Commando, mess hall, showers etc but when they strated loobing Scuds around we went mobile into a tented CP in the desert, ended up at Bagdad Airport. After we reroled and we were given a TOAR to control, we ended up 20 km north of Al Kerna, good old days eh
    Ben
    BIAP !! got mortared there 3 times, and sniped at on the cross swords square in Bagdad. Did a couple of runs for the British consulate. 2 weeks at a time.

I was a stripey, running the LAD. Fun times indeed. I will never forget it that's for sure

john did you see the german , brit and yank guns and some old cannons littered around the tomb of the unknown soldier in baghdad .

I remember going on runs around the old part of the airfield back on Op Telic 5. I knew it was Ex-RAF, but these are the first photos of I've seen from then.

Great to see them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast