Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Article about: by NunoGTI Hi Joe, im very curious about the Fort William Henry, the wood from the walls, is it original? Its fascinating. Cheers Nuno Hi Nuno, The fort is not original, unfortunately. Follo

?

King John's Castle in Limerick, 13th century castle.

Nothe Fort Weymouth Dorset,built around 1860.sold in 1961 to the council and was left for decades before funding refreshed the old place also reported as one of Britains most haunted historical venues.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    King John's Castle in Limerick, 13th century castle.

That is a great looking castle, beautiful scenery

Here in Canada we don't have much, but this is the best we have. Fort York was originally built in 1793 at the request of Lt. Governor Simoce. In the War of 1812 it was destroyed when the Americans raided York. It was rebuilt between 1813 and 1816. All of the current buildings are original except for the blue barracks which is a late 1800s building made to look like a building that was there in 1813. It was originally built on the water, but various land reclamation projects in the last 200 years have but it far from the lake. It is also now completely surrounded by apartment buildings. It is one of Toronto's hidden gems, as no one really knows that this small slice of history. If you live in Toronto and have never been, you should go.

Saumur france where my family is from.
    chris

Show your Castles, Forts and FortressesShow your Castles, Forts and FortressesShow your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Saumur france where my family is from.
    chris

Show your Castles, Forts and FortressesShow your Castles, Forts and FortressesShow your Castles, Forts and Fortresses
    Hi Chris
    That is an impressive castle, it has a beautiful architectural style.

Cheers
    Nuno

My local castle is Castle Bolton in beautiful Wensleydale , Yorkshire, Built in 1378 and home to Mary Queen of Scots

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

In my hometown we do have a castle in the middle of the city: het kasteel van Helmond.
    It is part museum and partly from the city-council. One can get married there.
    Every year it is called "Het Kasteel van sinterklaas" and children can visit him there from
    November 19 through December 3. There are a lot of activities during this festivity. For
    those who do not know: De Sint is as like Santa Claus!

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Tilbury Fort

Pretty much untouched since it was built in the Seventeenth Century. Well worth a visit if you're in the area. Used to film some of Sharpe's Regiment.

Jeez, Patrick! Skellig didn't look like that when I was there in 2006!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast