Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses

Article about: by NunoGTI Hi Joe, im very curious about the Fort William Henry, the wood from the walls, is it original? Its fascinating. Cheers Nuno Hi Nuno, The fort is not original, unfortunately. Follo

I'm going to cheat a bit by posting pictures of Festung Hohensalzburg in Salzburg, my home-from-home.

Construction of the fortress began in 1077 under Archbishop Gebhard von Helfenstein. The only time that the fortress actually came under siege was during the German Peasants' War in 1525, when a group of miners, farmers and townspeople tried to oust Prince-Archbishop Matthäus Lang, but failed to take the castle. In the 19th century it was used as a barracks, storage depot and dungeon before being abandoned as a military outpost in 1861.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

A few more reasons to love this place:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses   Show your Castles, Forts and Fortresses  

I am from Nottingham and I guess most people will have heard of Nottingham Castle care of Robin Hood.

Sadly very little now remains, only the gate house still stands. The house which stands today in the City Museum.

Nottingham Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still a nice place to visit.

Cheers, Ade.

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

if only these castles could talk.

Europe holds lots of beautiful castles thanks for the tour all. timothy

't Steen Antwerp. Steen means stone.
    The 1000 posts helmet was here!! ;-)

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

there is also a nice castle at Wijndaleby Torhout W/Flanderen.I believe that's where the King Leopold signed the surrender in 1940.you can visit it,lots of German names on the lead roofing.

- - ------- - -

Wijnandale by Torhout.

Wijnendale

- - ------- - -

dumkopf.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I am from Nottingham and I guess most people will have heard of Nottingham Castle care of Robin Hood.

Sadly very little now remains, only the gate house still stands. The house which stands today in the City Museum.

Nottingham Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still a nice place to visit.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade
    Sadly, thats the fate of many castles or the walls. Many of them are demolished for stone work on other buildings.
    Over here, we have lots of examples of that.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    I'm going to cheat a bit by posting pictures of Festung Hohensalzburg in Salzburg, my home-from-home.

Construction of the fortress began in 1077 under Archbishop Gebhard von Helfenstein. The only time that the fortress actually came under siege was during the German Peasants' War in 1525, when a group of miners, farmers and townspeople tried to oust Prince-Archbishop Matthäus Lang, but failed to take the castle. In the 19th century it was used as a barracks, storage depot and dungeon before being abandoned as a military outpost in 1861.
    I love the place because that is where I was married in 2007.
    Chris

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast