Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Somme 2016

Article about: I will be attending the ceremony at Lochnager Crater on July 1st this year. I will be staying near Amiens and Albert for 4 days Any other members in the Somme area July 1st ? Cheers

Default Somme 2016

I will be attending the ceremony at Lochnager Crater on July 1st this year. I will be staying near Amiens and Albert for 4 days

Any other members in the Somme area July 1st ?

Cheers

Only 30 days to go until the poignant and memorable day. I am staying in Amiens June 30th and July 1st and staying in Albert 2nd and 3rd July. I will also be attending the Royal British Legion Memorial Service at the Thiepval Monument Saturday morning July 2nd with a couple of pals.

Security is going to be tight at the main sites, are any other members attending ?? Be good to have a beer in Albert and raise a glass in honour of our brave forefathers

All the best

?

I'm guiding a Leger Battlefield Tours coach !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    I'm guiding a Leger Battlefield Tours coach !!
    Nice one Paul, at least one other member is attending !! where is the Leger Tour staying while over there amy I ask?

Cheers

I won't be attending - I'm tied-up with an event at Heaton Park, Manchester. But here is my contribution to the 100th anniversary celebrations - if you can call it that - considering what happened to the 11th ELR that dreadful day.

Somme 2016

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I won't be attending - I'm tied-up with an event at Heaton Park, Manchester. But here is my contribution to the 100th anniversary celebrations - if you can call it that - considering what happened to the 11th ELR that dreadful day.

Somme 2016
    Nice one Steve ? I will have to get a copy soon. Sadly, yes they were decimated I believe. I will certainly raise a glass in their honour whlle in Albert

In the section covering the battle of the Somme, I have created a roll of honour for every officer and other ranks of the Accrington Pals who were killed - or subsequently died of wounds received on July 1st 1916. It takes up over six pages of the book to list them all. Publication is supposed to be June 15th.

If I wrote to make money, I would be writing fiction and not history! This one was a labour of love.

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Nice one Paul, at least one other member is attending !! where is the Leger Tour staying while over there amy I ask?

Cheers
    My group is in Compiegne but we have 14 coaches out in total !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    My group is in Compiegne but we have 14 coaches out in total !!
    Is Paul Reid out these as well ? I will keep an eye out for one in Albert

Cheers

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    In the section covering the battle of the Somme, I have created a roll of honour for every officer and other ranks of the Accrington Pals who were killed - or subsequently died of wounds received on July 1st 1916. It takes up over six pages of the book to list them all. Publication is supposed to be June 15th.

If I wrote to make money, I would be writing fiction and not history! This one was a labour of love.
    I will try and have a drive over to Serre

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast