Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Richard Montgomery

Article about: An interesting feature posted earlier today on the BBC website, addressing the munitions supply vessel SS Richard Montgomery, a ship that lays just 1.5 miles from shore in the mouth of the T

?

Default SS Richard Montgomery

An interesting feature posted earlier today on the BBC website, addressing the munitions supply vessel SS Richard Montgomery, a ship that lays just 1.5 miles from shore in the mouth of the Thames estuary. Her rusting masts rise above the surface, marking the spot where she lies...with her deadly cargo still intact...read on for more details...

BBC - Future - The bombs that lurk off the UK coast

Carl

Lightbulb

The Richard Montgomery story comes up almost as regularly as Christmas and although it's a serious subject I'm always reminded of Private Jones in Dad's Army ( 'Don't panic ! Don't panic!'). I can see the point of the Authorities - it's in shallow salt-water, so the hope is that the stuff will gradually corrode away. Trying to remove aged ordnance a piece at a time in the Thames' very swift currents could open a can of more than worms......

( I like the poster though ! )

Wow...

I did not know about this but its very interesting. I think the chances of it exploding are a bit remote though.

mpw
    ?

I live 2 miles as the crow flies from the wreck. I don't for one minute believe the scare mongering stories. Although..... it has been said on a calm night luminous clouds have sometimes been seen bubble to the surface. Phosphorous! But looking on the bright side if the Monty did go up my garden would be showered in ww2 ordnance. A collectors dream. Maybe not...

Rgd's, Mark (soon to be blown to smithereens)

I first read about this in "After the Battle" magazine back in the early 1980's. Nothing seems to have changed. The arguments about leave it alone or remove the cargo were talked about back then.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The time to safely remove this ammunition was shortly after the ship sank, certainly not 70 years later.

?

I understand the concern. I don't believe that the ship contains cluster bombs though. I could be wrong but I don't believe those were used during WWII.