Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip

Article about: Gentlemen I am off to St.Nazaire the end of the month for a couple of days to see the sights. Anybody been before, ?? any advice appreciated Cheers

I have just returned from my trip to St.Nazaire this week. The emphasise was on re-tracing the steps of the Raid, the U-Boat pens were an added bonus. Will post some pictures soon. I even managed to stand in quite a momentous place which I am quite chuffed about, pictures to follow if anyone is interested

Cheers

I will start off with my pictures of the South Caisson of the Normandie Dock, St.Nazaire. As we are all most likely aware, the destruction of the caisson to render the dock useless to the enemy was the reason for the raid. Its an impressive structure to say the least, even more so looking up from down at the bottom !!
    Also can be seen the southern winding house and rebuilt pumping station attacked and destroyed by Captain Donald Roy;s Assault Party.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip   St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip  

St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip   St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip  

St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip   St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip  

St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip  

Standing at the bottom of the Normandie Dock is quite intimidating !!

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip   St.Nazaire. The Greatest Raid of All. My Trip  

The Old Mole, the scene of much frustration and loss of life, a sombre place really. I threw a poppy into the increasingly choppy and forbidding looking water, looking out towards the Loire in the direction of the incoming Raiders. The scene later on in the early morning was one of utter carnage; burning ML's everywhere, the sea was literally on fire reported one bystander. The screams of burning and drowning soldiers drifting across the water.

Also can be seen are the south steps of the Old Mole where Captain Michael (Micky) Burn was plucked from the water by Lance Corporal Arthur Young. Micky's troop were aboard ML192 when it suffered direct hits on the port side and slewed across the bow of another ML and slammed into the south face of the Old Mole out of control. Micky and Arthur jumped from the burning ML, most of the others were not so lucky unfortunately. I took Micky’s Autobiography with me and took some photos of the book on the actual steps he climbed. Micky was quite a character and despite his vices, it’s difficult not to like and admire the man, RIP Micky.
    Also can be seen the scars of the battle to the Mole

Cheers

Last edited by HistoryMan; 10-11-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Very interesting !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

Very interesting mate , i'm heading down there at the end of November with work !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Very interesting mate , i'm heading down there at the end of November with work !!
    Nice one Paul, I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express, although you may know it already !

Bridge " M " ( the Pont de la Deuane ) and the Northern Caisson, which was damaged by man handled charges, also can be seen the Northern winding house successfully destroyed by Corran Purdon's group. Also can be seen the gap under the road which crosses the Northern Caisson where Commando's hid before being captured. ( cant remember right now which Commando's, will consult notes )

Nice pictures, but the 'selfie' ones are a bit distracting. It would have been better if you could have got the whole of yourself on.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nice pictures, but the 'selfie' ones are a bit distracting. It would have been better if you could have got the whole of yourself on.
    Was a solo trip so had no choice really, photography is not my forte sorry. They are the only 2. More pictures to follow
    Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast