Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stalag 17a

Article about: Hi guys After my granddad was injured and caught in Italy he was sent to Stalag 17A. I no nothing about this place,what happened there?what kind of duties would he of had to do? I no he was

Default stalag 17a

Hi guys
    After my granddad was injured and caught in Italy he was sent to Stalag 17A.
    I no nothing about this place,what happened there?what kind of duties would he of had to do?
    I no he was there for about a year
    Ive seen ariel pics of the camp but nothing close up,is there anything there now?
    When i was looking on the net,i saw a photo and my eyes were drawn to this man straight away,i no for a fact this is my granddad and my mum says it is aswell,i bet he never saw thisstalag 17a
    So if any body could give me some info on this place that would be great
    many thanks adam

Stalag XVII A | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hi, I've just found this..some pics of 17a you may find interesting.

thanks for that mrnosey,ive already seen theses,but thanks for posting

Ok no problem..I guessed you would have sen them alredy. Have you seen the pic that is similar to yours where they are stood in the same doorway? Wondered if your grandad is amongst them?
    Have you posted on other forums?

Don't know if you have seen this (Hopefully it works in translated form)

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsgefangenenlager_Kaisersteinbruch - Translator

English and American prisoners of war[Edit]

While French and Yugoslavs are often individually came to farmers in work , the Russians only in larger groups from the camp were allowed to also work. [14] The English but, because before that the German authorities had not respect and fear. Them was many things approved and admitted what other nationalities could never achieve. So were the two residential barracks neatly covered the English with fresh lime paint and cleaned. To work, they didn't go at all.

They had a few great bands with different and expensive instruments, which were sent to them from home. Also, you were that several times the week was allowed them to March on one in the vicinity of the camp, owned by the German Wehrmacht soccer field and operate football game. On the March there, only a single German NCO without a gun as a guard force was allowed to join! Her feet put her on the ground that this resounded even a half kilometer far from.

The situation of English prisoners of Stalag XVII A Kaisersteinbruch is well documented for the year 1944 by the protecting power checks . In February 1944, the "British camp leader" - complained "warrant officer 1st cl." Brown - the protecting power representation features the bad clothing of the British and Americans. You had no two full sets, although they were available. On March 17, 1944: "the establishment of the barracks leaves a lot to desired". Except the beds in three layers of stacked no tables, chairs, and benches are available. Lighting is very bad. Hot showers are possible only every three weeks. The poor condition of the night oflatrines was complaining, as well as the lack of a dental practitioner in the camp.

The barracks were equally divided left and right and a washroom, which more resembled an anteroom in Kaisersteinbruch, two large bedrooms. The establishment of the Waschraumes consisted of six taps and a large pool of water sheet. Its establishment was the worst, which the Commission had ever seen. The three-story "monster bed" took almost the entire area, there existed only a furnace, there was not enough fuel for the. The actions of the British man's confidence may have had success.

The review on June 21, 1944, there were numerous improvements since the last visit. The head of the Commission discovered that is a number of British and American "special prisoners" (special prisoners) were in an isolated section of Stalag XVII A. On the Please post their contact and support this cause by the accompanying officer of OKW - major Roman - Stalagkommandant - allowed Colonel Pamperl - a short visit of the insulated part of the camp. The British were members of a special task force on the Balkans Theater and worked as a military Advisor on the side of the forces of Marshal Josip Broz Tito. Here, a group of three officers and six non-commissioned officers under the command of Brigadier General Davies was captured. The prison history of British General seems very strange for a prisoner of war. After a stay in hospital in Tirana and Belgrade being held prisoner then, A in a concentration camp near Belgrade, in the labor education camp Lance Oberndorf in the military prison in Vienna, and finally from Angang June 1944 in the Stalag XVII. The nature of their Gefangenenschaft was not in accordance with the Geneva Convention, the camp commandant and major Roman of the OKW what was kept by the Safety Commission. They said higher command of OKW to act and have no power to change the situation of the detainees. After all, the British were given after the intervention of Red Cross packages.

In another cell of the isolation wing, three American officers, who were captured by the Wehrmacht, in March 1944 in Hungary after the occupation of Hungary , were detained under conditions similar to the British after they previously very poor were treated by the Gestapo , according to the testimony of one of the American officers. [15] Her path led her Berlin, seven weeks Budapest , and finally Vienna in early June after Kaisersteinbruch after three weeks in Belgrade, two weeks. On 8 August the British and American special prisoners were still in a particular Department, which in turn moved the ICRC Commission of this day to a special report.

The Chief complaint of the prisoners was primary, that they were treated not as prisoners of war but as evil-doers. They were still held under arrest without been punished to be or an escape attempt, they were in same study barracks as ordinary soldiers held prisoner and housed until a short time ago, together with those in a cell. An American Captain and two sergeants were beaten by Gestapoangehörigen during their interrogation in a police prison in the North of Slovenia and Ljubljana , where Captain Watt was still traces of this abuse . Their current treatment in Kaisersteinbruch and health status are not bad, says the ICRC Commission, except the State of strict security. Before leaving the camp the camp commander of the Commission informed he got the command to surrender the officers in an oflag , and the NCO(non-commissioned officer) BB´s and the British "gunner" in a Stalag.

The Chief of Bodyweight in the OKW, Krafft, stated in Nuremberg , that isolated captivity of General Davies and his men in Stalag XVII A Kaisersteinbruch, whose protection was carried out by the OKW. As a result of command, who himself came from Hitler, the British military mission should be shot by the Gestapo. By laying in a Stalag the British prisoners should be removed from the access of the Gestapo.

Quote by MrNosey View Post
    Ok no problem..I guessed you would have sen them alredy. Have you seen the pic that is similar to yours where they are stood in the same doorway? Wondered if your grandad is amongst them?
    Have you posted on other forums?
    Hi mrnosey,yes i do no the pic you are on about but he isnt on that one,no i havnt been on any other sites
    always have to ask on WRF first

hi crimebox,thanks very much for that,very interesting,
    thanks adam

Stalag XVIIa today;

Panoramio - Photo of Stalag XVII A Kaisersteinbruch
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture stalag 17a  

Quote by rabbitface View Post
    Hi mrnosey,yes i do no the pic you are on about but he isnt on that one,no i havnt been on any other sites
    always have to ask on WRF first
    Ok. I noticed that someone is looking for their relative Herbert Oerton from Walsall who was also at Stalag 17a.

stalag 17aHi men,ive just found the back of the photo and its full of signatures,so now i no its definitely him.
    can anybody tell me the different regiments that are wrote on the back aswell
    many thanks adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast