Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thinking of a trip to Caen to visit the battlefields any advice

Article about: Hi guys been looking at going to Caen for a while now, might make the trip this year or many early spring next year. Was planing on going to Caen and the beaches and Falaise pocket, the Germ

?

The Tour is very good Martin and we do a full day inland to show the real Normandy fighting , Tilly Sur seulles, Op Martlet and Epsom and the Scottish Corridor , Hill 112 , then Falaise , , St Lambert , the corridor of Death and Mont Ormel to name but a few !!

Prices are very good , Leger are the best in the business !!

I recommend A Traveller's Guide to D-Day and the Battle for Normandy/4th ed the Author Carl Shilletto is a good pal of mine and also a Leger Normandy guide.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    I remember that one on the side of the road in 76 believe it or not! and Major &Mrs Holts were bought out?

A good friend of mine works for Ledgers, the head guide I believe Paul.........say hi to him from me when you see him Paul

I honestly don't believe going around Normandy now is as exciting as when I used to go in the 80's through the 90's. Most of it was undiscovered still. I remember going to find the "corridor of death" in 1985. There was an A4 piece of paper pointing to the direction pinned to a telegraph pole, and some of the better museums have folded now. It's far too touristy now
    Hi mate , yes Leger bought out Holts at the beginning of 2015 , i know Paul well he is a top bloke , just been on the phone to him today as a matter of fact will pass on your regards

I agree mate Normandy has changed quite a bit since i started going in the 80's as well , much more touristy and comercial especially the likes of St Mere Eglise , it's a complete Tourist town now !! No more relics lying around at Moissy Ford either !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul D View Post
    No more relics lying around at Moissy Ford either !!
    Do you remember the scrap yard in Lambert-sur-dives? I went there on several occasions, apart from having a couple of opel blitzes lying around, there was a panther turret complete with gun!!
    I have to say though, the scrap yard is no longer there, and it was fenced off with barbed wire, LOL as if! Yes remind Paul of my trips with him when he lived in Courcellette Top geezer, like you Paul. When are you going to Leeds mate?

The Tour is very good Martin and we do a full day inland to show the real Normandy fighting , Tilly Sur seulles, Op Martlet and Epsom and the Scottish Corridor , Hill 112 , then Falaise , , St Lambert , the corridor of Death and Mont Ormel to name but a few !!

Prices are very good , Leger are the best in the business !!

I recommend A Traveller's Guide to D-Day and the Battle for Normandy/4th ed the Author Carl Shilletto is a good pal of mine and also a Leger Normandy guide.
    yeah looks quite good as does other tours, i will bookmark that page and maybe go on one next year, lots of choice
    i will be going this year to Caen for a week in my car apartments are cheap, just need to research my and plan my trip

I would certainly recommend the Overlord Museum near the entrance of the US cemetery at Omaha Beach, and the Tankmuseum in Catz (near Carentan). One of my other favs is the Batterie Longues-sur-Mer.

For slightly older history, the Bayeux Tapestry is very impressive!

?

The Overlord Museum is fantastic and is actually the Old Museum from Falaise ( you'll remember it John ) , the A10 Museum at Catz is improving all the time , we visit Overlord on the 5 day Tour and the A10 on the panzers Tour !!

1st July 1916

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Do you remember the scrap yard in Lambert-sur-dives? I went there on several occasions, apart from having a couple of opel blitzes lying around, there was a panther turret complete with gun!!
    I have to say though, the scrap yard is no longer there, and it was fenced off with barbed wire, LOL as if! Yes remind Paul of my trips with him when he lived in Courcellette Top geezer, like you Paul. When are you going to Leeds mate?
    Yes i do mate , even went to the one at Trun but that was pretty much cleared finally about 10 years ago. Hopefully get to Leeds later in the year once the Tours have finished and i have fitted in another trip to Estonia !!

1st July 1916

thanks for the heads up guys, so is there mainly museums and the beaches to visit any good things to see in towns or near the falaise pocket?
    i want to visit where the LAH and HJ was fighting also the beaches and museums, and Iconic places.
    im hoping to study these guilds when they come, would like to see some of the places from the then and now book.

Paul do you visit battle sites in Estonia?

?

Yes Martin i guide Battlefield Tours to Estonia

1st July 1916

Lightbulb

even went to the one at Trun but that was pretty much cleared finally about 10 years ago.
    Just a little off topic, but a complete Panther barrel and mantlet from the 'tank cemetery' at St Lambert went to Mme Maurat's Trun scrapyard and is now in the Benamou Collection. There's a photo of it in Heimdal's Normandie 1944 Magazine #14.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast