Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

On the trail of the Red Baron.

Article about: After doing a little research on the village we were stopping in, we came across a plaque next to the village cemetery. This was the original burial site of Manfred Von Richtofen. He was lat

Default On the trail of the Red Baron.

After doing a little research on the village we were stopping in, we came across a plaque next to the village cemetery. This was the original burial site of Manfred Von Richtofen. He was later interned in the Fricourt German Cemetery before his Brother organised for his body to be returned home.

We though it would be worthwhile and interesting to find the sites of interest regarding Manfred Von Richtofen.

I don't know if this has been shared before but we though some of you might find it interesting. We have tried to show before and after pictures on some of the sites.

The first few images show his original burial at Bertangles, note how the entrance to cemetery has remained unchanged and the plaque shows the exact site he was buried. Outside the communal cemetery which houses the grave of J.A.Miller from the RFC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of the Red Baron.   On the trail of the Red Baron.  

On the trail of the Red Baron.  

Default Re: On the trail of the Red Baron.

That's an unusual green headstone there.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Next stop was the village of Cappy.

Whilst based at Cappy, he resided in the chateau shown in the picture, just across the road from where the base was. On the morning of April 21, 1918, Richthofen left the chateau and later flew off with nine other planes from the airfield at Cappy, France...But never returned.

The painting shows and artists impression of Cappy Airfield.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of the Red Baron.   On the trail of the Red Baron.  

On the trail of the Red Baron.   On the trail of the Red Baron.  

So even the deceased have trash collection? How intriguing. Thanks for sharing the photos. I enjoy then and now pics

A nice then and now pic

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Vaux Sur Somme.

Before Richtofen died, he managed to land his red Fokker Dr.1 triplane just north of the village of Vaux-sur-Somme, in a sector controlled by Australian forces. Still intact, the Red Baron’s bright red plane was soon dismantled by souvenir seekers.

Interestingly, just behind the plaque, are what appears to be untouched trenches in a wooded area (unfortunately, fenced off and on private property). Further down the road is the Australlian 3rd Division Memorial and on the horizon, Villers-Bretteneux Australlian Memorial can be seen.

As stated, Richtofen was initially buried at Bertangles with full military honors. He was however later re-interned to the German Cemetery in Fricourt on 1921. In 1925 however, he was moved to Germany with the initial idea of getting buried in his family grave next to his father yet the Government wanted him to have a state funeral and get buried in Invalidenfriedhof next to other military heroes, which his family agreed to.

However, the final move was in 1975 when he was moved to the family cemetery in Wiesbaden’s Südfriedhof. Next to his brother and sister.

The grave in Fricourt was later re-used for the burial of Sebastian Paustian.

?

Too bad that the plane was practically torn apart by souvenir hunters, as Richthofen managed to land it intact.

I found it interesting to learn, that he was most like brought down by ground fire instead of as a result of aerial combat. Not heavy ground fire either.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Too bad that the plane was practically torn apart by souvenir hunters, as Richthofen managed to land it intact.

I found it interesting to learn, that he was most like brought down by ground fire instead of as a result of aerial combat. Not heavy ground fire either.
    Yes, there was a documentary a while back that provided evidence that he was shot with a single bullet that killed him. An Australlian gunner George Ridgway, stated that when he,and other Australian soldiers, reached the plane, Richthofen was still alive but died moments later

Imagine what a sight it would be if it had been kept in tact and viewable today. Any whereabouts of the souvenir pieces? And is the chateau he lived in privately owned?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast