Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

On the trail of the Red Baron.

Article about: After doing a little research on the village we were stopping in, we came across a plaque next to the village cemetery. This was the original burial site of Manfred Von Richtofen. He was lat

Among others, Ernst Udet is buried at the Invaliden Friedhof in Berlin !

Mfg
    Marc

Default Re: On the trail of the Red Baron.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Imagine what a sight it would be if it had been kept in tact and viewable today. Any whereabouts of the souvenir pieces? And is the chateau he lived in privately owned?
    As far as i could see the chateau was lived in an privatly owned. I found the lack of information advertised about these places quite vague and neglected almost.

?

Cheers V a good & interesting thread.. poor old Red Baron.. he has done more moving about dead than most people do alive!!!!. Cheers Terry.

?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Imagine what a sight it would be if it had been kept in tact and viewable today. Any whereabouts of the souvenir pieces?
    Most likely dispersed amongst soldiers/veterans, the items themselves lost and/or if still located somewhere in most cases no doubt with any provenance sadly lost to time.

I remember one book about Richtofen said that when his family disinterred him to bring his body back home, that they reportedly removed just his skull. The books author dug in the area where he Had been buried and found the original field-made zink plaque from the coffin's lid along with many Bones-which he offered to the family in Germany but were refused by them. He stopped any further digging out of fear that he was digging up an actually still occupied grave.

The book also mentioned that on the stretcher while moving Richtofen's recently deceased body, that a machine gun bullet was found that had fallen from the body(caught up in his heavy flight jacket after passing through?) and that a soldier scooped it up and winked and dropped it in his own pocket. It was never seen again. Quite possibly the soldier who had it was later killed with it still in his pocket and it was simply discarded as nothing of significance. It certainly would have ended the eternal argument of just who actually did kill Richtofen....Roy Brown? Sgt Popkin? Shooter unknown? The historians are still guessing...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Or the second gunman on the grassy knoll. Whatever happened or however it happened, still a great legend.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It certainly would have ended the eternal argument of just who actually did kill Richtofen....Roy Brown? Sgt Popkin? Shooter unknown? The historians are still guessing...
    Duff 'gen i'm afraid William! It's a well known fact that the Red Baron was shot down by this guy........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of the Red Baron.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

nice report,thanks.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    nice report,thanks.
    No problem 'H', I like to get the facts straight.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron - YouTube

Here is the song Ned
    great thread by the way,
    cheers Ronnie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast