Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

On the trail of the Red Baron.

Article about: After doing a little research on the village we were stopping in, we came across a plaque next to the village cemetery. This was the original burial site of Manfred Von Richtofen. He was lat

Default Re: On the trail of the Red Baron.

Thanks for the comments guys. Kept me occupied for the day. I have more pics i will upload once home as our tent doesnt have internet
    Glad you liked it

AIF
    ?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Imagine what a sight it would be if it had been kept in tact and viewable today. Any whereabouts of the souvenir pieces? And is the chateau he lived in privately owned?
    Yeah I have seen a few pieces here in Australia over the years... Some in museums and some in collections.

Here is the compass from the plane, part of the Australian War memorial collection

And also the control arm from the plane
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of the Red Baron.   On the trail of the Red Baron.  

On the trail of the Red Baron.   On the trail of the Red Baron.  

On the trail of the Red Baron.   On the trail of the Red Baron.  

On the trail of the Red Baron.  

AIF
    ?

And some of the blokes responsible...

The remains of his Baron von Richthofen's plane and the two machine guns. Left to right: Lieutenant N. Mulroney (pilot); Lieutenant O G Whitcomb (observer) and Lieutenant F J Mart (observer) examine the Spandau machine guns of the Red Baron. All three are members of 3 Squadron Australian Flying Corps
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On the trail of the Red Baron.  

No surprise after a day walking that field i found nothing........ Good excuse to visit australlia to complete this route!

Here's a link to an interesting interview.
    I hope it's still there as I have to get to work and have no time to check.
    Von Richthofens demise ABC Radio

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3