Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

U-534

Article about: Hello Ladies & Gents today I visited with my good lady U-534 in Birkenhead..I have never seen a U-boat before so as we up that end of the world I thought sod it lets take a look. Now the

Default U Boats

Here you go. This is the Finnish Type 11 - the Vesikko.

U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 04-10-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nick, there are more surviving boats than you think... There is of course U505 and U 934. And then there is the Type V11/C41 at Laboe (U995) Then there is the type XX1 which was scuttled in May 1945, and raised in the 1950's, refitted and used by the federal German navy under the name 'Wilhelm Bauer.' She was restored to her wartime configuration in the 1980's and is now a tourist attraction at Bremen. My daughter (lucky sod) and her husband are going to visit her in a few weeks time. I will ask her to photograph it. There is one more U Boat which is on display in Finland - a Type 11 which was used by the Finnish navy. I cannot remember the name of it, but it should come up in a google search. I took several photographs of U 934 before she was cut up, I will have a root for them. I even took a picture of my daughter and her shopping bag when she took up the No 2 position on the Bofors 40mm gun they also had on display - she had her shopping bag hanging on the traverse handle!
    Cheers, Steve.
    Thanks for that info Steve

Great pics !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hello Guys no problems at all..we all have our thoughts on this....Some excellent info coming out about more U-boats which is good all I need to do is convince the wife that U-boats are fun to be around!!!!.......thanks again Terry.

?

Default Wilhelm Bauer

Here's a few shots of the Wilhelm Bauer (U 2540) which I lifted off the internet. Looks to be an interesting visit!

U-534U-534U-534U-534

Default U534

I finally managed to find my pictures of U 534 taken shortly after she was opened to the public. At the time she was owned by the Warship Preservation Trust. And to be honest about it, I thought their presentation of the artefacts from the boat to be marginally better. I was able to take these pictures up top, but photography up there and inside was strictly off-limits. Being a former squaddie sometimes has its rewards! As for the cutting up, I had it on good information that this was done to make the boat accessible to all - especially the disabled. As laudable as the reason was, it is a dangerous path to go down just for the sake of equality. This was the ONLY boat that was in her original state. The other type 1XD2 (U 505) had her hatches squared off into walk-through doorways. You see quite clearly the hatches which had to be negotiated by the lucky visitors to gain access.

U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534U-534

Now that's how I remember the old girl !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

terry some superb detailed pictures ,im so gutted i was stuck on the wirral and we couldnt meet up ,it looks like you guys had a great time ,i saw the sub in its complete form around 12 years ago and it was a sight to behold ive not seen this new layout as yet ,what they have done is quite controversial but i guess whats done is done ,on the plus side this layout has at least made it more accessable for wheelchair users ,thanks for showing mate

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Now that's how I remember the old girl !

Nick
    Exactly, with her deck guns still pointing skyward.

?

Thanks guys for the comments & Harry for the photos..She did look better back then but like James says what is done is done..& it is still worth a visit anyday. Sorry about James but work first pleasure second lol. It would have been nice to meet up..Cheers Terry.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast