I am glad you were able to get back and have a look! If you would like to make another trip, let me know and I will see to it you get to go some places no one else can go! Like a walk through of all the engineering spaces, berthing areas and of course sick bay!
Some interesting tidbits related to the ship today. Not only does the galley continue to serve out food, it does so regularly as the veteran crew have lunch on board during our work days every week. But, don't get into Chief Smith's way or you might feel the spatula!
Al those guns are still functional though many have been disabled for safety. The aft 3"/50 was fired just this past Friday on Veterans Day. Our senior crew member, 88 year old Chief Petty Officer Farnsworth was present in his dress blues. More amazing because he recently broke his shoulder. But, he would not be kept away, sling and all!
A little scuttlebutt that not many know and some of the vets are working towards. The Slater has all her propulsion gear. Those screws will turn again and she will sail under her own power again! Her main generating engine was completed and fired up last month. She purred like a lion!They are working on her main engines now. Next step is to dry dock her and take care of the hull. The plan is for that to happen next Winter. She is only one of a few museum ships no longer owned by the Navy. Another is the LST-325 in Indiana. Also brought back from Greece. Although the LST-325 sailed back under her own power, crewed by 29 Navy vets, average age of 72!
Anyone else here that plans to tour the Slater let me know.