Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vietnam Museum Phillip Island Victoria

Article about: G'day All Here's a quick tour of this small Museum down south I love the Cobra but I don't understand the canopy! Ahh bugger I've done it again I should have post this in the "after the

Default Vietnam Museum Phillip Island Victoria

G'day All

Here's a quick tour of this small Museum down south I love the Cobra but I don't understand the canopy!
    Ahh bugger I've done it again I should have post this in the "after the battle" section!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-12-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added text

Default Re: Vietnam Museum Phillip Island Victoria

That looks like a great museum! All in the one hanger I presume? Just a quick question about that MP40, was that used by the Australians or their allies or was it captured from the VC do you know? I only ask as it is hanging with Australian SMGs. Cheers.

Hi Rene, sure beats the Vietnam display at the war memorial in Canberra IMO. Same querie as the MP40 goes for the Owen - in Vietnam I thought they only had the Armalite and FN FAL??
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

looks great there i still havent made it over to phillip island yet. i will make a effort now. thanks.

MP40 wasn't used by us-ex German stuff was supplied by the Soviets to the NVA thence to the VC-some German weapons also used by the French immediately after WW2 and captured by the Viet Minh to be used by them.

Danmark-the Owen and then F1 were used by the army and the M16 was only used towards the end of Aust involvement in 1972.-the last combat use of the LE No.1 MkIII* was as a sniper rifle early on in 'our' part of the war.

?

The cobra is incomplete...no cockpit!

Ah ok. It was just confusing it being in with the Aussie SMGs. Thought it might have been one of those special forces personal choices like the US SFs using the Carl Gustav SMG (or Swedish K if you will)

These are great photos Rene thanks for posting these!!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Early in the war the Aussies used Owen guns as they were changing over to the SLR......I was told by one of the museum staff that the MP 40 was captured by Australians off the VC

I know a lot of the staff as some of the Vietnam vets who run it were members of my local RSL

AMTG-not changing to the SLR but the F1 SMG-same sort of weapon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast