Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Village of Beek, Holland : then & now

Article about: The Reichswald is very well known...and totally off limits due to a crap load of no good for nothing detector users (no I am not saying everyone, as I dig myself. Only the ones that dig illi

?

Quote by Call to arms View Post
    Ade

Great pics

I went into the Reichswald Forest when I was in Arnhem three years ago. It still has many battle scars hidden away but very evergrown in places. This is perhaps one area that is not so well known but there was fierce fighting in and around the forest.

There is a very nice British cemetery of the same name which contains many graves to airmen including some from the Dambusters Raid if I remember correctly. Well worth a visit.

Steve
    Five of the original Dambuster crews are buried in the Reichswald including the original crew of G George , Guy Gibsons crew !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

udimore
    ?

Hello, Is there anywhere I can find the names of these men? I am pretty sure that the man at the back one in from the right is my father John D Murphy.
    I am attaching a photo which shows him on left. The photo is showing it's age. The original appeared, I was told, in the Times during the Allied advance into Belgium. Of course there was no more detail published but my Grandparents recognised him.
    He was, not long after this, shot by a sniper and sustained severe head injuries from which he never fully recovered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Village of Beek, Holland : then & now  

?

Default hi

Quote by udimore View Post
    Hello, Is there anywhere I can find the names of these men? I am pretty sure that the man at the back one in from the right is my father John D Murphy.
    I am attaching a photo which shows him on left. The photo is showing it's age. The original appeared, I was told, in the Times during the Allied advance into Belgium. Of course there was no more detail published but my Grandparents recognised him.
    He was, not long after this, shot by a sniper and sustained severe head injuries from which he never fully recovered.
    hi..please check out my page on facebook https://www.facebook.com/The-Sherwoo...5590503341671/

?

if poss could members udimore. jase and dicey please contact me ...k

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4