Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Village of Beek, Holland : then & now

Article about: The Reichswald is very well known...and totally off limits due to a crap load of no good for nothing detector users (no I am not saying everyone, as I dig myself. Only the ones that dig illi

Default Re: Village of Beek, Holland : then & now

The Reichswald is very well known...and totally off limits due to a crap load of no good for nothing detector users (no I am not saying everyone, as I dig myself. Only the ones that dig illigally and then not even close the hole) have raped those woods. And oh yeah, punched out one of the foresty officers when he stopped an illigal digger. Otherwise, it is a very heavy fought over piece of property that has seem 20 years of continuous service by the German EOD. They stopped their work there about 10 years back I guess and still people find tons of gear (and then place explosives against trees on the hiking trails). The Reichswald Forest Cemetery is very peaceful and worth a visit Danny

Nice pics Ade, i was in Arnhem last year for only 2 days great place a little expensive but nice,great WWII history in that area !!

?

I love the then and now photos , Bill

beek 1944
    ?

My Great uncle Dallas A. Jamieson who was a member of HQ company, 1st Battalion, 508 PIR was killed in action on September 20th 1944 during the fight for Beek. I have had an opportunity to talk to many of his fellow "Troopers" one of whom told me how he went out in a German truck and found his body under a tree. The bodies where taken to the Hotel Spyker in Beek as a collection point for the dead.
    Last year for the 65th anniversary of the liberation I wrote the hotel to tell them the story and requested that they place a flower someplace in his memory on behalf of our family.
    I received a wonderful letter in response as well as these photos that a Colonal in the U.S. Army sent me. I was told that it was an honor to hear his story and that a special bouqet of flowers where placed in his memory by the People of Beek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Village of Beek, Holland : then & now   Village of Beek, Holland : then & now  

Welcome to the forum and thanks for telling your Great Uncle's story.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi New to the site so a hello from me

i found this topic while searching around for info on the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry . The first post by Ade got me thinking

if this was relivant to this picture of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry Recce Troop my late Grandfather is in it 1st on the right as you look leant against the tank

i'm at a loss for anymore info sorry , but would be great if it tied in with this topic

thanks again

Jase

Hi Jase, please let me publicly welcome you to the forum!

I am sure the photo would have been taken in or around Beek.

Interestingly, three of the men wear US M41 field jackets.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks Ade for the welcome , iv'e found the site really interesting and hope this linked in

Jase

?

Very nice Ade! I'm cycling frequently over 'Rijksstraatweg' in Beek! It's 2km from my home..
    I know another photo behind the Church in Beek where i can shoot a nice Then And Now picture, i will do that this week!

I will post it here if you want?

kc1
    ?

Interesting photo. It appears the man stood next to the grandfather has an MM ribbon at the beginning of his ribbon bar. I can't make out what the others are but he looks to young for it to have been ww1 service so perhaps an Indian General service or General Service award, Palestine? This would make him a regular rather than a conscript.
    The badge on his arm to denote rank looks odd, almost like a lance corporal chevron with a wavy line below, reminds me of the German rank badges for camo uniforms.
    Interesting that there is also a mix of battledress blouses, the 1940 issue where the bottons can be seen and i don't know whether the ones where the buttons are hidden are pre this date. I thought the concealed buttons came back with the 1949 issue of the BD.
    Lastly i don't think the bino's are British issue, liberated from where? but definate sniper bate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast