Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Villers-Bocage Then & Now......

Article about: Just spent a most enjoyable week in Normandy, with V-B as our 'local' town. As has been said many times, there's not much to see. But if you have a good selection of books the 'Wittmann' loc

Lightbulb

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    I would like to visit here at least?
    That photo was taken on the road from Chambois to Vimoutiers. It's just past Hill 262 at Mont Ormel where the museum is located...this is the key area to see many of the famous 'Falaise' locations ; Moissy Ford and St Lambert sur Dives are just a few minutes' drive away ( you can even walk it if you're feeling fit ! ). And then, of course, you can just keep going along the Vimoutiers road to see the iconic Tiger.....

?

Thanks Martin, just want to visit a couple of the iconic locations related to the closing of the gap as it were...
    I would like to visit here at least?
    The photo is on the road from Chambois up to Mont Ormel as Martin says the use of the phrase the Falaise pocket is misleading as it's actually in the area he has described south of Trun . The pocket leads out to Vimoutiers where the famous Tiger 1 is located despite it waiting for removal to Saumur for it to be refurbished . The old Museum in Falaise has now gone and is the Normandy Overlord museum although just outside the Castle is a new museum to the local population and resistance , they have just put in a Sherman Tank outside it decorated in modrn art !! The HJ School is still there as is the Battle damaged Church in the centre and there are quite a few memorials to the Canadians dotted around , still plenty to see.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Is it the D16?

- - ------- - -

Is it the D16?...

Lightbulb

Is it the D16?

- - ------- - -

Is it the D16?...
    Yes, that's right. Sometimes referred to as 'Le Couloir de la Mort' ( 'Corridor of Death' ) but that expression really refers to the whole area between Trun and Chambois, containing at least three parallel roads. One of the early 'After The Battle' magazines from the 1970s covers the area and is still today a useful reference for visitors.

Just remembered this old post......

Another Falaise Gap relic (Flak 38)

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Yes, that's right. Sometimes referred to as 'Le Couloir de la Mort' ( 'Corridor of Death' ) but that expression really refers to the whole area between Trun and Chambois, containing at least three parallel roads. One of the early 'After The Battle' magazines from the 1970s covers the area and is still today a useful reference for visitors.

Just remembered this old post......

Another Falaise Gap relic (Flak 38)
    Great, thanks Martin, just ordered a copy !!

Just picked this up this week, should be a great help !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villers-Bocage Then & Now......  

Quote by Paul D View Post
    It's like everything mate , there is always something to see if you know where to look !!

VB is very difficult to orientate or Then and now due to the fact that the place has been completely rebuilt but as Martin says you can go up to Point 213 plus the Ancienne Route de Caen where the Tigers laagered overnight and the junction from which Wittmann began his attack , the 7th Armoured memorial on the D6 Roundabout , the display in the Hotel de Ville and the position where Stan Lockwoods Firely engaged and stopped Wittmans advance plus a few other interesting spots !!
    Yes looking for ward to this, 2 weeks to go ! Is the position where Lockwoods Firefly engaged Wittmann easy to find, i believe it was here??

cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villers-Bocage Then & Now......  

Lightbulb

As usual, I'll draw a deep breath here and say that this is where I think the Firefly may have stood and fired up the road at Wittmann's Tiger. As always, this is only an educated guess based on reading as much as I can ( and it also makes reasonable sense when you visit the spot ). It's easy to find at the bottom of the town where the D.67 joins the D.675, and the general consensus seems to be that the Tiger was roughly where the main square now is ( just past the second set of trees up the hill in the centre distance).

( BTW I do recommend the restaurant just around the corner on the other side of the road - excellent Normandy cuisine to enjoy while you mull over the battle.... )

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    As usual, I'll draw a deep breath here and say that this is where I think the Firefly may have stood and fired up the road at Wittmann's Tiger. As always, this is only an educated guess based on reading as much as I can ( and it also makes reasonable sense when you visit the spot ). It's easy to find at the bottom of the town where the D.67 joins the D.675, and the general consensus seems to be that the Tiger was roughly where the main square now is ( just past the second set of trees up the hill in the centre distance).

( BTW I do recommend the restaurant just around the corner on the other side of the road - excellent Normandy cuisine to enjoy while you mull over the battle.... )

Great stuff thanks Martin, I will be stood there in a couple of weeks !!

Sorry, still researching, why didn't the Fireflys do very well ? .......

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast