Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Villers-Bocage Then & Now......

Article about: Just spent a most enjoyable week in Normandy, with V-B as our 'local' town. As has been said many times, there's not much to see. But if you have a good selection of books the 'Wittmann' loc

Lightbulb

I think the question is - why didn't either the Firefly or Tiger do very well in this case ?
    It's certainly a dramatic few moments - the two most powerful tanks in Normandy, face-to-face, blazing away.....

The answer would seem to be 'the fog of war'. By all accounts, by the time Wittmann's Tiger had reached the maximum point of penetration in V-B, poor visibility due to smoke, rubble and dust was becoming a major factor in the fighting. He could probably barely see the Sherman at the bottom of the road ( and vice versa ) and it seems generally agreed that as soon as he realised that he was facing a high-velocity weapon he turned around - fast. The Firefly similarly probably only had a glimpse of the Tiger. Also to be taken into account ( and interesting to imagine when you visit the scene ) is the effect of very high-velocity shells flying up and down the street at flat trajectory, raising their own clouds of dust.....

Also worth bearing in mind that the optics of the Firefly weren't as high-quality as those of the Tiger. Firefly sights had a tendency to 'go off' after a few shots ; many Firefly vistories ( such as the action which ultimately killed Wittmann ) were taken from stable positions.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I think the question is - why didn't either the Firefly or Tiger do very well in this case ?
    It's certainly a dramatic few moments - the two most powerful tanks in Normandy, face-to-face, blazing away.....

The answer would seem to be 'the fog of war'. By all accounts, by the time Wittmann's Tiger had reached the maximum point of penetration in V-B, poor visibility due to smoke, rubble and dust was becoming a major factor in the fighting. He could probably barely see the Sherman at the bottom of the road ( and vice versa ) and it seems generally agreed that as soon as he realised that he was facing a high-velocity weapon he turned around - fast. The Firefly similarly probably only had a glimpse of the Tiger. Also to be taken into account ( and interesting to imagine when you visit the scene ) is the effect of very high-velocity shells flying up and down the street at flat trajectory, raising their own clouds of dust.....

Also worth bearing in mind that the optics of the Firefly weren't as high-quality as those of the Tiger. Firefly sights had a tendency to 'go off' after a few shots ; many Firefly vistories ( such as the action which ultimately killed Wittmann ) were taken from stable positions.
    Thanks Martin
    Really looking forward to visiting VB now, think i'm going turn the visit to VB into a Wittmann trail as it were, will also visit the scene of his destruction as it were

A couple of years ago, we went to Normandy, and a few times we went past the spot, where Wittmanns final battle took place.

The road from Caen to Falaise (N158) goes past the field, and to think this (famous?) action took place there.

I would have loved to have got out and took a picture, but you can't go trampling on a farmers field can you?...
    Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 07-15-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Thumbs up

Wot - another 'Villers-Bocage'book !? Well,yes - but this one adds to and updates the story.

Daniel Taylor - who wrote the ATB title 'Villers-Bocage Through The Lens' - has returned to the subject in a much larger and expanded format with the same publisher with 'Villers-Bocage : Operation 'Perch' : The Complete Account' ( After The Battle / Pen & Sword ISBN 9781399048736 ).

The author has continued to study , research and revise the battle in the 20-odd years since his previous study and the rhe result is a blow-by-blow, detailed account of this very confusing action ( the legendary 'Wittmann' part lasts about 15 minutes ). This is mainly from the British point-of-view but remains even-handed, and the analysis of photos is fascinating. Having walked the battlefield in detail, I've found this to be gripping reading which has helped me make much more sense of what actually happened at V-B.

Criticism ? Well, I'd have liked a few colour 'Then & Now' pics but these you can find in the superb Heimdal V-B book by Duprun & Jouault ( which includes a lot of 'rusty relic' pics too). If you're a Wittmann, Tiger, or Normandy armoured conflict fan - I recommend Taylor's book highly.......

Just ordered it.. can't wait.

Wittmanns Tiger in my back yard...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villers-Bocage Then & Now......   Villers-Bocage Then & Now......  

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post

Wittmanns Tiger in my back yard...
    Good place to hide the house key.....

Thumbs up

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    You'll like it ! I still have all the 'V-B' books shown earlier in this thread & this one is an excellent addition. Daniel Taylor has done a remarkable job over many years now, untangling this very dramatic and confused action.

Just wish some one would write a detailed book about August 8th '44..

With "then and now" pictures..

From the moment the Tigers arrived in Gaumesnil, to them being destroyed..

Now that would be some book..

Arrow

I'd certainly buy it. A possible difficulty would be that the 'Wittmann field' is a very flat, bleak area of Normandy. When I visited years ago, it was a tough 'Then & Now'.....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7