Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Visit to Stalingrad 2012 advice required

Article about: One day I will join you gents, one day

Thanks Paul, he doesn't appear to be accepting bookings at the moment but I have starred his website and will keep checking back hopefully.

All the best
    Robin

Would like to thank everyone for their help. I have as our colonial friends call it 'pulled the trigger' and am booked on a 9 day trip to Moscow, Stalingrad and Kursk with Author/historian Bob Kershaw where we will witness the Victory day parades.I will take ton's of photo's and post them here. To suggest that I am excited would be an understatement.

I lived in Volgograd for 4 years. A great city although not much remains from the battle. I definitely recommend it. I live in Kryukovo (one of the closest points the Heer made it to Moscow, along with Khimki) now and if you're going to be here then I could meet to show you around a bit. We could also hit one of the street markets so you can check the militaria (mostly relics unfortunately).

?

I take it is with the Cultural Expereince Robin ? Certainly it will be an interesting trip with Bob Kershaw an excellent Historian and author but the price they are charging is very hefty !!!

I'll await your report on how they tackle the southern salient and Prokorovka , the greatest tank Battle in history or was it ??

Hello Fallbarbarosa, Thank you for the invite.

I believe we will be visiting Borodino then rofollowing the German advance on Moscow through Istra and Yakrohmato on 4th may.Back to Moscow on 5th may to visit Central Army museum before catching the overnight train to Kursk. Back again on 8th and 9th to visit Kubinka and Great patriotic war museum. Would be great to catch up even if only to say hello and have a Vodka or two.

Best wishes

Robin

Quote by Paul D View Post
    I take it is with the Cultural Expereince Robin ? Certainly it will be an interesting trip with Bob Kershaw an excellent Historian and author but the price they are charging is very hefty !!!

I'll await your report on how they tackle the southern salient and Prokorovka , the greatest tank Battle in history or was it ??
    Hi Paul,

Firstly, thanks for all your help, You are correct with the provider and yes the price is a little on the steep side. That said the deal is fully inclusive and this is my retirement present to myself. It will be the first time I have been on such an organised trip and having not been to Russia before it will be great just to sit back and not worry too much about the details. Will give a full analysis on my return. The trip also fits nicely into my current University module, War, peace and modernity 1914-1989.

I'll await your report on how they tackle the southern salient and Prokorovka , the greatest tank Battle in history or was it ?? [/QUOTE]

Depends how you define 'Great' largest, best or most influential.

Largest, definitely!

Yea, it would be great to meet up and even though the price of your trip is expensive, the cheapness of the vodka will make up for it (especially if the pound to ruble exchange rate remains unchanged!).

?

Quote by robin morley View Post

Depends how you define 'Great' largest, best or most influential.[/QUOTE]

A number of books in particular the excellent Blood , Steel and Myth by George Nipe have dispelled the facts about Prokorovka being the greatest / largest tank battle in history , in reality it was Russian Propoganda to cover the huge losses of 5th Guards Tank army !! If you haven't got this one Robin it's worth the investment and read before you go !!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast