Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visiting Berlin - Tour advice

Article about: I would very much like to visit Berlin this spring. Can anyone recommend a tour operator. I would like to visit sights associated with the Battle of Berlin such as Seelow Heights and other a

Default Visiting Berlin - Tour advice

I would very much like to visit Berlin this spring. Can anyone recommend a tour operator. I would like to visit sights associated with the Battle of Berlin such as Seelow Heights and other areas. Any help is very much appreciated.

Default Re: Visiting Berlin - Tour advice

Quote by 29THPZGR View Post
    I would very much like to visit Berlin this spring. Can anyone recommend a tour operator. I would like to visit sights associated with the Battle of Berlin such as Seelow Heights and other areas. Any help is very much appreciated.
    You are better of not taking a tour operator.The last time I was there I just did some resaerch before I went.I had a great time and took all the time I wanted.
    With tour operator you have 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there you do not get the time you want.I never use them .

When i went last year i bought a book from a tourist shop near the riechstadt the small book was simply called "Berlin" in that there are lots of places tour guides miss out we then got a train pass costing about 25 euro and planned our sight seing each day if i can find my camera card i will upload a pic of the book so you know what you are looking for, best of luck Ronnie

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    When i went last year i bought a book from a tourist shop near the riechstadt the small book was simply called "Berlin" in that there are lots of places tour guides miss out we then got a train pass costing about 25 euro and planned our sight seing each day if i can find my camera card i will upload a pic of the book so you know what you are looking for, best of luck Ronnie
    Agreed, some tours do not cover all the points.
    What i recomend you, is that, you should make your own sightseeing plan and visit everything you can by yourself.
    Only book a tour guide for specific places that require that.
    Another advice that isnt in tour guides, whatch out for thieves that usually operate in the area of Berliner Dome, reichstag and tiergarten, we had some problems with romanians there.
    Have a good trip.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

I completely agree with the comments above. I went there last November/December and did exactly what the others suggest, decide what you want to see and go see it by yourself, read and research what you want to do before you go, make your own itinery, use the plentiful public transport and do what you want when you want and at your own speed. It depends on how long you're going for but it will be very hard to see and do everything well in a week.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    Yep, totally agree with Ron! Get yourself the book from the shop by the Reichstag & go from there! Its brilliant & takes you to the right places

Default Berlin Tour Guide

Visiting Berlin - Tour adviceThis was 1st home in Berlin, the indoor pool at Andrews Barracks. I worked at the old Luftwaffe HQ building. This building is still there, but as far as a guide. I would try to friend someone from FaceBook page "Memories of Berlin", there are a number of friendly Germans that would be more than happy to meet with and show you around. But be warned they are changing th face of Berlin, the old Infantry Barracks is being converted into Condos.

A MUST, when looking for and at ww2 sights in and around Berlin, is the special tour guide book :
    Berlin 1933-1945 by Maik Kopleck
    Past finder, Stadtführer zu den Spuren der Vergangenheit .

Small tourist guide with a little background story to the sights, maps, and all the addresses you will need!!
    Found in bookstores and tourist shops !! Easy :-)

Mfg
    Marc

Ps I visit Berlin 3-5 times a year ;-)

Berlin is a GREAT City … full of things to do… and you have time to research your trip… take a look at this link for a previous thread … https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/battl...lics-356667-3/ and a great place to stay in Berlin is Hotel in BERLIN - Book your hotel ibis budget Berlin City Potsdamer Platz (ex ETAP HOTEL) - Berlin and Germany is a nation where it is easy to drive. Seelow Heights is a drive out of Berlin has a great museum. You may want to get a couple "After the Battle" Books/Magazines to research this entire area… www.rzm.com - there is a Hardback book, Berlin, Then and Now, and their magazine, Volumes 61 and 62 Search - After The Battle Another Thread where Berlin is discussed and has photos is https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...rble-137971-3/ - plan for time to see the Berlin Underground, Berliner Unterwelten e.V. | Guided tours - I haven't had a chance to do this yet but you can enter the Flak Bunker whose remains still exist on a guided tour here… it is the only way in. I have not had the chance to see it yet but on a return trip I will… also - for a spectacular view of the city - the Berlin TV Tower.. make reservations now… they book 6 months out at times… Berlin TV Tower | Welcome to a ?sightseeing tour? in the restaurant - the restaurant "circles" and one can easily tell the old east from west, and you get a spectacular view of the former Chancellery area and Brandenburg Gate - Reichstag. The Reichstag is also a great place to visit and go up to the "Dome" to see the city. On the weekends there is a antique flea market at the old city gates… no telling what you will find … About.com: http://www.berliner-troedelmarkt.de/ That should give you some ideas anyway… good luck with your trip and have a GREAT time… neat city… and well worth the visit… one more thing… GET a Berlin "Welcome Card," Berlin WelcomeCard - Berlin.de - for travel IN the city… there is no other way around… subway and bus… you buy these at the Airport or they may have them online… I need to add…on the hotel above that is listed… it is right next to the Topography of Terror (Gestapo HQ) and down the street from the Luftwaffe Ministry, Chancellery, Brandenburg Gate etc… ALL within walking distance…

Berlin is a fantastic city and needs more than one visit, i've been there 20+ times and barely scratched the surface. Somebody mentioned Romanians earlier in the thread, they are actually Roma gypsies who are professional beggars and a pain in the ars*, don't give them anything!..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast