Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

The Vimoutiers Tiger - a history

Article about: by lebus12 On the first picture, it's me!(This picture is mine, but one time on the web, it's finished!) In the 60's-70's, I was every month in the Falaise pocket! Thank you Lebus for provid

So whats so special about THIS Tiger apart from it being still in the same place it fought 70 years ago?

Look at the wheels
    The Vimoutiers Tiger - a historyThe Vimoutiers Tiger - a history

This is a late-production Tiger, with steel road-wheels the same as used on the Tiger II ( the King Tiger ) and these steel wheels designed to survive better than the rubber tired dished ones under the huge weight DID survive better - the problem was that they tore hell out of the tracks!
    In fact it was reported at the time that even off the roads the tracks were MORE worn on the inside than on the outside!!!!

Also of interest is that it is believed to have belonged to the Heavy SS Panzer Abteilung 503 and originally carried the number 231 on the side of its turret.

So an SS Panzer that fought in Normandy and survived ( for a short time ) the breakout from Falaise - now THAT makes it a special one!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Dan with my Normandy Tours i have visted the Tiger many times , i don't want to be pedantic but the town is Vimoutiers on the eastern end of the Falaise pocket and s SS Panzer Abt 503 never fought in Normandy , the Heeres 503 did but this Tiger is from s SS Panzer Abt 102 , 2nd Kompanie !!

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Dan with my Normandy Tours i have visted the Tiger many times , i don't want to be pedantic but the town is Vimoutiers on the eastern end of the Falaise pocket and s SS Panzer Abt 503 never fought in Normandy , the Heeres 503 did but this Tiger is from s SS Panzer Abt 102 , 2nd Kompanie !!
    Thanks for the correction Paul - I was going by the "facts" I found on the web ...... and then not checking them out!
    Thanks for your knowledge and for setting the record straight!

Regards, Dan

One more round of photos before I hit the hay tonight ........

The Vimoutiers Tiger - a historyThe Vimoutiers Tiger - a historyThe Vimoutiers Tiger - a historyThe Vimoutiers Tiger - a historyThe Vimoutiers Tiger - a history

...... and ITS A FLIPPIN' MODEL!!!!!!!!

Is this fella talented or what????? AMAZING

Cheers all, Dan

?

I was there 3 days ago the Tiger has not yet had it's promised revamp , i think a few years ago i posted photos of the Tiger including some interior shots.

On the first picture, it's me!(This picture is mine, but one time on the web, it's finished!)
    In the 60's-70's, I was every month in the Falaise pocket!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

great post.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    ( including Martin Bull who was /is a member here – but as we have no searchable membership list anymore I can’t check )
    Still here....and guilty, as charged......

The Vimoutiers Tiger is absolutely my favourite WWII relic ( although the La Gleize King Tiger runs it a close second ). I've visited it many times over the years - I never fail to thrill at the sight as you climb the road from the town. My head says that it should be preserved indoors, but my heart prefers it sitting by the road overlooking the scene of 1944 retreat. I started a thread on the WWII forums in 2007 which has had many thousands of 'hits'.

Couldn't resist this one....

But of course, there's always someone out there cleverer with computers than I am

Thanks Martin, glad your still here mate!
    Very envious of you who can see this in the flesh. ..

Cheers, Dan

?

Thanks Dan for the great story and finding the pic's of this Tiger.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast