Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

W.W.II Sites in Calabria (Southern) Italy

Article about: I recently made a trip to my family's hometown in Calabria, Italy. I have always been trying to find more information on what went on in this poor part of Italy during the war. I haven't bee

Default W.W.II Sites in Calabria (Southern) Italy

I recently made a trip to my family's hometown in Calabria, Italy. I have always been trying to find more information on what went on in this poor part of Italy during the war. I haven't been able to find much.

This man was from my hometown. He originally fought in the Italian army. He then joined up with the partisans after Mussolini was deposed. He was on patrol but was captured and executed by "Nazi Fascists". His partisan leader said he was the best and bravest.

I have a solid grasp of Italian, but if anyone could offer a better translation, I'd greatly appreciate it!

These bunkers dot the coast around the port city of Crotone. Any idea if they're WW2? Any idea what they're used for? Each bunker has a rather large cement pedestal smack-dab in the middle. I don't think they could accomodate a weapon very well... the windows are too small and the pedestal wouldn't allow the gun to traverse very well. Observation equipment, maybe?

View from the bunker. Crotone can be seen in the distance. You can see natural gas rigs in the water.

My girlfriend

Me inside the bunker. As you can see, the pedestal takes up a lot of room. Unfortunately, it seems as if the locals do not respect history. The bunker was filled up to my ankles in garbage.

The coastline under the bunker:

We went on a glass-bottom boat.

According to the guide, these are the remains of an Italian war transport ship that was carrying coal for the Italian war effort. I am assuming it was sunk by a British air patrol? The guide spoke too fast and I missed exactly what she said.

The ship went down a few hundred yards away from this castle:

Default Re: W.W.II Sites in Calabria (Southern) Italy

If anyone can help me find out more information about World War II in Calabria, I'd really appreciate it!