MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

War Cemetery in Northern Italy

Article about: here are some shots from a War Cemetery in Northern Italy Birtish soldiers are also buried here (from BETFOR) sailors from ship Berenice Gold medal winner Spartaco Schergat , an italian nava

?

Default War Cemetery in Northern Italy

here are some shots from a War Cemetery in Northern Italy

Birtish soldiers are also buried here (from BETFOR)

sailors from ship Berenice

Gold medal winner Spartaco Schergat , an italian naval raider who sank HMS Queen Elizabeth near Alexandria in 1941

an airman

yugoslav fallen soldiers

another italian tombstone

grave with russian dead soldiers . They were probably partisans detached with IX Korpus.

somebody left a glass of vodka...

?

Default Re: War Cemetery in Northern Italy

In the soviet monument written
    2 mail 1945 here is 28 soviet soldiers who gave their lives when town Triest was liberated,
    but a couple of names looks to me more like a Serbian?- Natochi, Pist,Padobri and one Bulgarian? -Irokov. And only 9 lastnames is looks to be a Russian, other is Ukrainian, Uzbek, Azherbaidzhan, Armenian, to be correct they was all Soviet soldiers
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

In the soviet monument written
    2 mail 1945 here is 28 soviet soldiers who gave their lives when town Triest was liberated,
    but a couple of names looks to me more like a Serbian?- Natochi, Pist,Padobri and one Bulgarian? -Irokov. And only 9 lastnames is looks to be a Russian, other is Ukrainian, Uzbek, Azherbaidzhan, Armenian, to be correct they was all Soviet soldiers
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

Hello Dim,

problem is that Red Army never came here. And fightings ended on 2,3 of may 1945.
    There were anyway russians and other soviets fighting together with Tito's partisans. I sent this picture to some historians in Moskow, because they were interested in doing some researches, and it seems they weren't in fact soldiers, at least not for Russia.

?

I can tell you, Irokov is not at all Bulgarian. But also finding Bulgarian names in Russian lists is not unusual - there were some /ok I'll miss the word / commies who fled to the USSR and fought in Spain and later in Europe. Actually many Bulgarian political emigrants suddenly died in 1937 /of course, this has nothing to do with Stalin's activities /, but some survived even the WW2 to return as Generals to Bulgaria /after left it as Traitors/. And also, there were and still are lots of ethnic Bulgarians in Russia and the former USSR. The old Bulgarians, who were there long before the Russians, have mostly lost the names due to the centuries and the islam that was accepted by many. But the 19th c. Russo-Turkish wars brought many Bulgarians to Russia /some voluntary following the retreating Russian armies, some dragged in order to settle parts of the Russian empire/ and their descendants were taken into the Red Army, as ordinary Russians.

?

Quote by Sokol View Post
    I can tell you, Irokov is not at all Bulgarian. But also finding Bulgarian names in Russian lists is not unusual - there were some /ok I'll miss the word / commies who fled to the USSR and fought in Spain and later in Europe. Actually many Bulgarian political emigrants suddenly died in 1937 /of course, this has nothing to do with Stalin's activities /, but some survived even the WW2 to return as Generals to Bulgaria /after left it as Traitors/. And also, there were and still are lots of ethnic Bulgarians in Russia and the former USSR. The old Bulgarians, who were there long before the Russians, have mostly lost the names due to the centuries and the islam that was accepted by many. But the 19th c. Russo-Turkish wars brought many Bulgarians to Russia /some voluntary following the retreating Russian armies, some dragged in order to settle parts of the Russian empire/ and their descendants were taken into the Red Army, as ordinary Russians.
    Offtop:

One of them was from Bessarabia, and Bulgarian originally- Ivan Stoleikov, he served in Estonian Aleksandrovsky gimnasium in Reval before 1918 year...
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

The guys buried here are those probably involved in a terroristic attack to german Soldatenheim, where they put a bomb while the soldiers were having lunch. Many were killed, including italian civilians. As a result, germans picked up political prisoners from the jail, executed and hang them on the inner and outer side of the Soldatenheim.

?

Here is some documents from Russian archive about the soviet citizens KIA in Italy. The lists shows the places where they are burried, plus the list of the partisans who fought in Italy. I did not share all of them, due the huge quantity of the files
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Cemetery in Northern Italy   War Cemetery in Northern Italy  

War Cemetery in Northern Italy   War Cemetery in Northern Italy  

War Cemetery in Northern Italy  
    Regards,
    Dimas

?

Thank you Dimas! I see there is a lot about Liguria province. Anything specific regarding Friuli or Trieste?
    Regards

Matt

?

I will look later
    Regards,
    Dimas