Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Westerplatte

Article about: Hello! Perhaps you know the WWII began in this place. I was in this place in 2005 andtok some pictures. Behind After, along the beach, we have bunkers One T 34 * The "Museum" They

Default Westerplatte

Hello!
    Perhaps you know the WWII began in this place. I was in this place in 2005 andtok some pictures.

Behind

After, along the beach, we have bunkers

One T 34

The "Museum"

They say that these shells are from the Selon Schleswig-Holstein

Bunkers from Polish troops

On a litle hill, the monument

On the other side of the river, a lighthouse with the flag of the city.

And Gdansk is a wonderful city!

Default Re: Westerplatte

Quite a few Polish towns and cities have a street called Westerplatte as a tribute i should imagine, I agree Gdansk is a great place to visit!..

Great photos, thanks for sharing! Interesting that the Poles fortified the Westerplatte before 1939, considering that Danzig was a Free City...
    cheers, Glenn

Jan
    ?

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing this. Will be going to Krakow in june but maybe Gdansk next summer!

Cheers Jan

Oh yes! And there is GDYNIA, not so far and the castle of Teutonnics knights at Malbrok.

Great pics ! The monument on the hill is wonderful !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Great photos, thanks for sharing! Interesting that the Poles fortified the Westerplatte before 1939, considering that Danzig was a Free City...
    cheers, Glenn
    In 1925 the Council of the League of Nations allowed Poland to keep 88 soldiers on Westerplatte, which the Poles had secretly increased to 176 men and six officers by September 1939. They were armed with one 75 mm gun, two 37 mm Bofors antitank guns, four mortars and a number of medium machine guns. There were no real fortifications, only several concrete guardhouses hidden in the peninsula's forest. Westerplatte was separated from the city itself.

The T-34/76 represents the tank from 1 Warszawska Brygada Pancerna im. Bohaterów Westerplatte - 1st Warsaw Tank Brigade named after the Defenders of Westerplatte - before the tank there was a cross.

?

A nicely kept commemorative site, and well photographed too. Well done on another fine thread.

Regards,

Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast