MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wewelsburg

Article about: I am planning a trip to northern Germany next year taking in many of the WW2 sites I didnt see when I was stationed over there. I could kick myself that I never visited Wewelsburg, as it was

Default Wewelsburg

I am planning a trip to northern Germany next year taking in many of the WW2 sites I didnt see when I was stationed over there.

I could kick myself that I never visited Wewelsburg, as it was only down the road!

Has anyone visited this castle before and if so are there tours available etc?

Wewelsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Default Re: Wewelsburg

Hi Nick,

There are tours available. Take a look here...

Wewelsburg - Startseite

They offer a few different tours.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks for the info Carl !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

i visited about 3 years ago whilst working on sennelager ranges, the crypt was closed when i went for restoration work,and there was very little about its ww2 history,,i believe there is now an exhibition refering to it wartime past now..even though when i went i didnt see much about ww2 it was well worth the visit lots of information on the history and development of the area and such an imposing castle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wewelsburg   Wewelsburg  

Wewelsburg   Wewelsburg  

Wewelsburg   Wewelsburg  

?

You're welcome Nick, I am sure that you'll enjoy it. Nice photos spotter.

When the more recent tours were brought in, there was the usual talk of "why...?...what for...?...blah, blah..." but the review that I read from a UK newspaper was quite good and said that there was more to see nowadays.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks for the pics spotter !

Nick

?

Did you ever get over to Wewelsburg Nick? We were there recently as part of a study visit to the KZ-Niederhagen site, the museum is certainly one that should go on the list - wonderful collection and superbly presented.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wewelsburg   Wewelsburg  

Wewelsburg   Wewelsburg  

?

Good pics all.

Did you check out the wartime blueprints for making a huge SS complex with the castle as the 'tip of the spear?'

Very ambitious. Maybe not 'Grosse Halle' ambitious, but still in tune with the magalomania.

Bauplan der Wewelsburg:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wewelsburg  

?

Yes Scout, and the large colour plan hung on the wall too - very interesting.

Sadly not Carl Thanks for your great pics though!!

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast