Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wewelsburg Castle Himmler private SS center

Article about: by TIGER88 . The concentration camp prisoner uniform with a purple Winkel (cloth insignia / triangle), is rather unusual as it would have been worn by either a member of the clergy or a Bibe

?

Default Re: Wewelsburg Castle Himmler private SS center

The Wewelsburg is a 2.5 hour drive from the Dutch border.
    Its also the place where Himmler kept the SS honourrings of the SS members who were killed in action.
    Its a strange feeling walking on the same grounds where Himmler and his friends walked on, seeing the pics with him walking in front of the castle....
    It is my pleasure sharing these pics with you Gents!
    Cheers,
    Ger

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Yes Indeed thank you for posting those picture. That is one of the place's I would like to visit if I ever get to Germany.
    I would also like to know more about the prisoner uniform, What is the story behind it? Were there prisoner servants at the castle?
    Thank You
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Wewelsburg-Niederhagen was a relatively unknown camp (initially a sub-camp of Sachsenhausen), established during the early war period. It was located near to Wewelsburg and provided slave labourers for the construction work. During 1941, the Konzentrationslager expanded and became an independent camp, having previously come under the administration of KL-Sachsenhausen. Later, the camp was reduced to the level of sub-camp again and fell under the administration of KL-Buchenwald. Initially, the prisoners arrived from Sachsenhausen, although the camp also served as a gathering point for Jehovah's Witnesses. In total, approximately 4,000 prisoners were held at the camp during its existence, with around a third not surviving the ordeal. Wolfgang Plaul and Adolf Haas, who was later transferred to Bergen-Belsen, were the Kommandants at KL-Niederhagen.
    Last edited by CARL; 05-31-2015 at 01:51 PM.

?

There was a small Concentration camp near the castle.
    The castle was a ruin when Himmler got it in sight, he took prisoners of the camp to rebuild his castle, so half of the museum is Camp related as a counter weight against the ss part.

Ger

?

Well Tiger you beat me with your reply by sec!
    Thx for the info!

?

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Well Tiger you beat me with your reply by sec!
    Thx for the info!

You are welcome Ger, and thank you, in turn, for creating the thread. I have moved the thread to the After The Battle forum, due to its nature as a study of the site and not only the insignia displayed within the exhibition.

It should also be noted that some sources state that Niederhagen was the smallest Konzentrationslager within the KZ system. However, this information is incorrect, with many smaller sites existing throughout the camp network.

?

?

Thank you Gentlemen for that info!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I have the exhibition catalogue posted by Friedrich-Berthold (bought it on his recommendation, actually) and can in turn fully recommend it to all German-speaking members interested in the subject. (Although even the non-German speakers may well find it worthwhile for the picture material alone.)

Far from being "only" a cataloge, this is a treasure trove of information on the Wewelsburg's history in the Third Reich period.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I have the exhibition catalogue posted by Friedrich-Berthold (bought it on his recommendation, actually) and can in turn fully recommend it to all German-speaking members interested in the subject. (Although even the non-German speakers may well find it worthwhile for the picture material alone.)

Far from being "only" a cataloge, this is a treasure trove of information on the Wewelsburg's history in the Third Reich period.
    Thank you.

?

Interesting thread.
    You mentioned the infamous rings; Ive always found it intriguing, that a number of rings 'supposedly' was removed from the castle and buried somewhere. One would like to think this true and that someone eventually will stumble over them (of course I hear, that Snyder already did...several times in fact).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast