Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wolfsschanze

Article about: Hello all, Back in 2013 I took a roadtrip with some friends to see the ruins of the Wolfsschanze in northern Poland. We included a stay at the onsite hotel (converted from the old security b

?

Excellent stuff.. In summer will be full of mozzies!! I heard it was bad for that?... Thanks again ...Cheers Terry.

Not sure, I live in the south of Poland, and mozzies are not a problem here, even in summer. Hopefully it won't be too bad, still worth it

Thanks for sharing these outstanding photos of the Wolfsschanze with us...I could look at these all day! They're the most detailed photos of the complex that I've ever seen, far better than the usual ones seen in the media...Now I have a much better understanding of the size of the complex...I am very grateful for the knowledge gained here!
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks for the kind words all.

Glenn, I was the same when I arrived - the place is enormous. Each bunker is just colossal, which you can see from the shots on the bunkers that have collapsed - the height of the ceilings, amount of rebar and steel reinforcements in each is mind boggling. I have many more photos, I just picked out the best ones for this post, I will see if there are any other interesting ones and update the post.

What are those sticks leaning against the wall...??
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    What are those sticks leaning against the wall...??
    cheers, Glenn
    That's actually an interesting topic, with no firm answer.

One nice local story goes that it started as a tradition by girls, who would put a stick under a collapsing piece of wall, and if that wall didn't collapse, they would get married that year.

Another, and somewhat darker spin on it is that it was started by people who thought if they could prop the walls up with sticks and they didn't collapse, neither would the German nation. The site is popular with sympathisers of the TR obviously.

Another is that the sticks were put there by school children who visit the site on excursions, and it's become a tradition.

Could be any of these, or all reasons together.

Added 6 photos that might be of interest

I wonder what they did with their garbage...if they had an area for their trash that might yield a few relics...One of Theo Morell's syringes, perhaps, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

?

I would also like to add my thanks for the detailed pic's of the Wolf's Lair. I am amazed that they made a hotel for viistors to stay at while touring that site.Just fantastic!!!

So are any of the pic's you took of the room where the assassination attempt was made?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

The attempt on Hitler's life took place in a wooden barracks, which dissipated the force of the explosion...If it had happened in one of those bunkers, Hitler would likely have been killed...
    I've seen photos of the concrete foundation/floor in mainstream media, not much to see, lol...
    Glenn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast