Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wolfsschanze

Article about: Hello all, Back in 2013 I took a roadtrip with some friends to see the ruins of the Wolfsschanze in northern Poland. We included a stay at the onsite hotel (converted from the old security b

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I would also like to add my thanks for the detailed pic's of the Wolf's Lair. I am amazed that they made a hotel for viistors to stay at while touring that site.Just fantastic!!!

So are any of the pic's you took of the room where the assassination attempt was made?
    The hotel very much retains its barrack nature. Dark corridors, small rooms with basically just a pair of beds and a small bathroom. Definitely not a comfort station, but it would cheapen the place if it was. Staying in the same space as Hitler's own bodyguard did all those years ago was certainly an eery feeling. You can also camp with a trailer or even a tent in a designated area should you want to.

As for the room where the explosion took place, sadly no. There is almost nothing left of the wooden structures in the area. What the Germans didn't blow up when they left has rotted away.

Aside from basic maintenance & safety (and the hotel of course), there has been no restoration work done on the structures within the Wolfsschanze. Which is also why there are no roped off areas, no tour guides (though you can ask for one). It's a memorial site rather than a museum, which I appreciate. Being able to touch the buildings, climb inside and on top of them, feel the claustrophobia of the dark tunnels connecting the rooms... restored places can't do that justice IMHO.

There is even a restored troop carrier on site, that you can pay for to take you on rides, but ironically it was broken down the day we were there, and under a tarp so I couldn't get any photos

Great Photos!!! I too would like to visit there someday.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Very interesting , thanks for posting and for the superb photos !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Excellent photos, I for one would appreciate captions for the photos so as to know exactly what we are looking at. I really appreciate these excellent photos being posted and as already stated they are far above the usual photos of the ruins posted elsewhere on the net! Bravo to you sir and please add captions!

Kevin

Captions added. I tried to be accurate, by following the map I have from my visit, but we didn't keep to the numbered track, rather we decided to wander the woods, so not everything is quite in order

As I mentioned, I hope to visit again this year, and will take better photos, including even the sites that don't physically exist anymore. These photos are ones I selected from over 240 I took on that day. There is a lot to see and each bunker is so immense, you can just photograph forever.

Any questions, go ahead and ask

Thank you! A very interesting and informative thread! I hope you get to go back again and share more fotos. I own a document for a member of Hitler's Reichssicherheitsdienst (RSD) Dienststelle 1, and he was stationed there too.

Was the hotel the former bunker for member's of the Fuehrer-Begleit-Kommando (encompassing both the RSD and the SS-Begleit-Kommando), or did it only house the SS-Begleit-Kommando (only SS guards)?

Good luck getting back!

Marcus

Thank you for sharing the pictures , most interesting

I look at these colossal ruins-the sheer enormity of them and their present day appearance, and to me, it's almost impossible to envision them as they must have been 75 years ago. World leaders and people who made History once walked their corridors and climbed their steps and stairs, but to picture this, one may as well attempt the same while looking at Mayan ruins. It's as if they have been like this since time immemorial. Very impressive site, by any means of looking at it. (54,000 mines were neutralized?? Wow...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Marcus,

Sorry but I don't know off-hand. I tried to look it up, but details are scarce. From what I've seen, the building (which encompasses both living quarters and below ground level bunker) was set up for both units.

Great pictures, that is one place i really must try and visit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast