Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wolfsschanze September 2010

Article about: Great images, I love the 'then and now stuff'.

Default Re: Wolfsschanze September 2010

Great images, I love the 'then and now stuff'.

?

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the images.

I remember reading an interesting article earlier this year about the future of this site. It said that there are plans to allow people dressed in Nazi uniforms to pose at the site with banners and flags for photographs. Obviously not everybody welcomed the idea...

Regards,

Carl

p.s. If you do visit, don't forget your insect repellent. Those mosquitos are abundant!

?

Nice pics danno81.

Quote by carltiger View Post
    p.s. If you do visit, don't forget your insect repellent. Those mosquitos are abundant!
    I recall Rochus Misch commenting on the topic of the Wolf's Lair that the guards at the time jokingly named it 'Mosquito-Wolf's Lair' or something to that effect.

Thanks for sharing these photos, it's interesting to compare then and now.

Mat

I am glad you all are enjoying these... yes - I have many more photos... give me some time and as I figure out how this posting thing works, if you want me to add additional I will... I was able to find Stauffenbergs Airfield when my friend and I went exploring, the gate he fled Wolfsschanze through is still there... along with the remains of the train station where Mussolini arrived shortly after the July 20th, 1944 Assassination Attempt... I'll put some more pics up soon... and if I can figure out how to get the video up... I will try that too... I have video from here, the Berghof ruins I took in the basement of the Obersalzberg when exploring that area back in the early 90s and late 80s, and lots more... if you all want to see if I will try to get it posted.... glad your enjoying these... danno

The best I have to offer is from Hitler's 'Kehlsteinhaus', the so-called 'Eagles Nest' at Obersalzburg which I visited in 2006. Here's my before and after shots.

Great photos mate!

wow i need to go to both these places they look brilliant nice photos danno and glenn

tom

?

Nice shots Glenn, I was there a few years back and plan on returning soon. I actually visited the Kehlsteinhaus with a vet from Yorkshire. After the war, he married a German lady who had five brothers, all of whom he got along well with except the one who served in the SS (Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler). As the years went by, they gradually became friends and visited the Kehlsteinhaus together. The vet told me the story of how the ex-SS man was so afraid on the journey up (you know how it is), he actually lay down on the floor of the bus almost in tears, covered in sweat repeating "nein, nein...bitte!" until they reached the top. The old vet I knew enjoyed every minute of it! Still, the SS man wasn't the only one who felt uncomfortable up there. Hitler wasn't keen on heights (and he a Tyrolean too!) and suffered from a touch of altitude sickness on one visit to the Kehlsteinhaus. It is a spectacular location though, with beautiful views in all directions. On a clear day, one can see Salzburg. Great place, can't wait to go back.

Regards,

Carl

It'd be great on a nice day but it was kinda cloudy when I went. Still a spectacular place to visit. Unfortunately we didn't have time to go snooping around for the locations of the TR buildings down in the valley.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast