Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Category name ?

Article about: I believe that we want this category to include the Милиция/Militsiya/Police, and not the Ополчени&#

?

Default Category name ?

I believe that we want this category to include the Милиция/Militsiya/Police, and not the Ополчение/Opolchenie/Militia.

The other organizations listed (GPU - OGPU - NKVD - NKGB - MGB - MVD) are transliterations of the initials in Russian. So, the transliteration for the last one in the list - "Militsiya" - might be better. What do you think?

"CHEKA" ("Cheka"?) has some similar problems, but is unambiguous and in common usage to refer to only the security service. It is also the sound of the initials "Ч К". Anyway, no one will think we mean "lynchpins", "cotterpins" or "(bank) checks".

Not important, probably.
    :-)

- Frayer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Category name ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Category name ?

It is important, to me at least, that we are accurate in our presentation here. You seem highly knowledgeable of your interpretation of Russian language and it's usage.

Please, be my guest - draw up a title for this section that you feel is accurate and appropriate... I will review it with my fellow administrators in all seriousness.

Many thanks for your attention to detail.

Regards,
    Richie
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

You are really very kind with your words. Thank you!

Maybe like this :

"Cheka" - GPU - OGPU - NKVD - NKGB - MGB - MVD - Militsiya

The " " marks are on Cheka to show it is something not perfectly standard. They are optional. I do think that using Militsiya will not only show our care for details, but may be more attractive to the Google search engine and help other collectors find this excellent forum.
    It is however a little long (number of characters). If too long, then perhaps like this

"Cheka", GPU, OGPU, NKVD, NKGB, MGB, MVD & Militsiya

or even

"Cheka" GPU OGPU NKVD NKGB MGB MVD Militsiya

I will also say the largest possible thanks to the organizers here - it is an amazing good forum, both for information and for positive mentality and attitude.
    :-)

- Frayer

To add, it seems to me that "Militsiya" is: RKM (Рабоче-крестьянская милиция).

Perhaps this will work accordingly?:

Ч К "Cheka" - GPU - OGPU - NKVD - NKGB - MGB - MVD - RKM

Let me know your opinion.

Again, thanks for your input!

Vadim, your input would be appreciated also!

?

"Vadim, your input would be appreciated also!"
    YES!

There were some early formulations of the name such as : 28 октября 1917 г. «О рабочей милиции».
    But the name soon became : 12 октября 1918 г. «Об организации Советской Рабоче-Крестьянской милиции».
    May be changes later, special departments/organizations/different formualtions outside of Russia. I do not know. But, "Милиции" (transliterated "Militisiya") is in my opinion quite sufficient for identification of all these, and is short. The initials "РКМ" may be OK also, but I do not think many foreign people would immediately recognize or be searching for "RKM".

"Cheka" would be more completely Всероссийская чрезвычайная комиссия по борьбе с контрреволюцией и саботажем then Всероссийская чрезвычайная комиссия по борьбе с контрреволюцией, спекуляцией и преступлениями по должности при Совете Народных Комиссаров РСФСР.
    You see in Russian abbreviations like "ВЧК" or may be "ВЧК СНК" which in transliteration would be "VChK" or "VChK SNK". Again, I do not think these will register with foreigners as well as simple "Cheka".

I do not think you need to have the Cyrillic Russian letters in this category title (all other category titles are in Latin characters).

But, I am NOT an expert. Other colleagues could say better, I am sure.

- Frayer

?

Guys, please make a decission and I will rename it, it's easy to rename, but I need to make a right rewrites pointing to the old URLs, due the default if you'll change the forum name, the url will be changed too
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

So, what do you think if we go with:

VChK (Cheka) - GPU - OGPU - NKVD - NKGB - MGB - MVD - RKM
    All Commissariats and Ministries of Internal Affairs & State Security

?

Let us get this done so Dim can continue working on the upgrade...