Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Gulag Guard Cap

Article about: Does anyone have a good reference on the uniforms of the Gulag guards? The only thing I can find is the caps were black with dark blue piping. I saw this visor and I am not sure if it is leg

Default Soviet Gulag Guard Cap

Does anyone have a good reference on the uniforms of the Gulag guards? The only thing I can find is the caps were black with dark blue piping. I saw this visor and I am not sure if it is legit or not. It does have all the characteristics of a 1950s Soviet cap, but I have never seen actual photos the cockade or buttons shown anywhere. Opinions are welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Gulag Guard Cap   Soviet Gulag Guard Cap  

Soviet Gulag Guard Cap   Soviet Gulag Guard Cap  

Soviet Gulag Guard Cap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Gulag Guard Cap
    P
    Many

?

This is from zemlyanka, there is a photo at the bottom of the listing. Raul

Raul

Yes, there is and it is attached below. I also attached a photo from undertheredstar. In both photos the cockade appears to be oval, not round like on this cap, and why I questioned if this cap was good. I was hoping someone had an actual cockade or buttons who could compare it to the ones on the cap. And Zemlyanka selling it is no guarantee that it is good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Gulag Guard Cap   Soviet Gulag Guard Cap  

?

I'm not an expert on the GULAG but I do know there are a plethora of other options ranging from the coal industry to the railways.

I'd agree that a seller's listing is no guarantee!

Have a look at the links on the left under: ГРАЖДАНСКИЙ МУНДИР РОССИИ

МУНДИР №1/2013 (10)

Soviet Gulag Guard Cap

Soviet Gulag Guard Cap

?

P.S. This reference states that the GULAG cap was black with a blue band and no piping.

Форма одежды ВВ.Приложение 2 к части 2. 1935-37 forma BB-bb.php

Boycie

Thank you for the information. My first thoughts when I saw this cap were that someone had added the cockade and buttons, but having never seen a photo of the "real thing" I thought I would ask if anyone else did. Zemlyanka has some questionable items on their website and I learned long ago that with them it is often about what they don't say than what they do.

Thanks again!

Default Cap Photos

A couple additional photos of the inside of the cap. They said everything is original but to me, in this first photo, it looks like the cap has been either altered or repaired.

Soviet Gulag Guard Cap