Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Antique store find

Article about: Hi all, first post on here. Hope the pictures show. I need some expert advice. Store is shutting down. Items are on consignment. Store owner says they are all authentic. Makers are Eickhorn

There seems to be a pattern of various issues with these. One of the blades has nicks in it. Another you say was sharpened ? They do not appear to be quality daggers IMO. The dagger market the last couple of years has been oversaturated due to supply & demand. The price of $800 is too much for any of these. Finer army/Luft daggers can be had from above mentioned dealers & a few others known. From the pictures presented, I might offer MUCH less or shop elsewhere.

If the story is true about the woman consigning these, I would think she would accept a "Lowball" offer. The shop closes, what would she do with them ? A dealer might give her a couple of hundred a piece. After the work she has to put into it trying again to sell them elsewhere, I would think she would take a lot less to be rid of them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Antique store find
    P
    Many

The Heer has nicks and I didn't takes pics of the dagger that was sharpened. I don't even know if the old woman knows how the shop owner is negotiating for her. He seems pretty stressed. Lots of items to clear out. The daggers are the least of his concern. He advised they will go to auction if they don't sell in his store.

Quote by real steel View Post
    There seems to be a pattern of various issues with these. One of the blades has nicks in it. Another you say was sharpened ? They do not appear to be quality daggers IMO. The dagger market the last couple of years has been oversaturated due to supply & demand. The price of $800 is too much for any of these. Finer army/Luft daggers can be had from above mentioned dealers & a few others known. From the pictures presented, I might offer MUCH less or shop elsewhere.

If the story is true about the woman consigning these, I would think she would accept a "Lowball" offer. The shop closes, what would she do with them ? A dealer might give her a couple of hundred a piece. After the work she has to put into it trying again to sell them elsewhere, I would think she would take a lot less to be rid of them.
    Exactly!

You are relaying your observations to us on which we try to assist but the more detail we have the more these are sounding like a mixed bag that is considerably overpriced. Consider the post above carefully it is very good advice. You might be able with shrewd haggling to get a reasonable purchase but I am starting to think that whilst you want to buy a gift for your son that he will appreciate you might do better to involve him in the process and choose something from a good and respected dealer rather than trying to bag a bargain. Trust me , your son will enjoy the experience as much as the end result. You will enjoy the extra dimension to the "father - son" thing, you will both gain knowledge (then you will be able to get him a surprise) and the whole thing becomes "Win - win". Don't rush into an expensive purchase that might turn into a "duck egg" that will be remembered too but for the wrong reasons. How about a book on a particular subject of interest as part of the gift to be followed up with a joint search process to locate the main gift? I don't presume to offer parenting advice, that would be crass. Rather some benefit of experience in getting the best from encouraging a hobby.

Good luck with this and you just know we expect to see pictures of your smiling son with his dad whichever way you go. As I say, rushing to a deadline is always a bad idea in collecting!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3