Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?

Article about: I've had this long Police Bayonet in my collection for about 10 years. I admit, like most collectors, bought a lot of pieces without being truly knowledgable on the subject when I first star

Default Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?

Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?I've had this long Police Bayonet in my collection for about 10 years. I admit, like most collectors, bought a lot of pieces without being truly knowledgable on the subject when I first started collecting Third Reich militaria. About 12 years later, I am a lot more knowledgable and WISER. My collection has long been purged of any repro/messed with items, and lessons learned! I still question this Police Bayonet. It is maker marked Clemen & Jung Solingen. I know after these bayonets were cut down and clamshell removed, the bayonet and scabbard were often mismatched.
    However mine has the marking of S. Br. L. 1415. on the crossguard. And S. Ko. I. 1415 on the upper reverse scabbard mount. The numbers match but the adminstrative district of issue is different (Br and Ko). My question is, were the numbers stamped AFTER the bayonet was cut down/re-issued, making it a matching piece? Also my grip has a solid nickel police eagle, not the usual aluminum one. Please look at the symbol that is stamped onto the front ricasso of the blade with a shield and "Z". Does this signify that this was Customs Police? I tried researching all this for quite a while before posting this for you guys to help me out to no avail. ANY HELP AS USUAL IS MUCH APPRECIATED!
    Last edited by canadatim; 04-19-2011 at 01:56 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?

Good original item.

The "Z" within the shield is actually Clemen & Jung's trademark.

I have no problem with the numbers being added after the refurbishment. No issue with the eagle either.

Cheers, Ade.

You may already know this

S. Br. = Schutzpolizei Breslau

S. Ko. = Schutzpolizei Koln

Regards

Richie

Thanks Ade! I thought the bayonet was OK, but wanted some more opinions. Thought it would be pretty difficult to find a police scabbard to match the four digit number on the bayonet crossguard. Just wasn't sure if the issue numbers were Wiemar or Third Reich.
    Richie, yes, I did know what the letters on the bayonet/scabbard signified, but thank you for the info! I did do some research and found another police bayonet for sale with a solid nickel police eagle, the nickel eagles must be rather rare as all I see are the aluminum type.
    I just joined this forum this month and find it very informative with a lot of knowledgable members. Much better than asking questions to a bunch of arrogant, egotistical dealers at gun/militaria shows who unless you have cash in your hands, don't want to be bothered!
    Thanks again all. Tim

Looks like a nice Polizei bayonet. Might we see a picture or two of the full piece?

Billy, sure, I will post pics of the complete bayonet tomorrow when I have natural light. The bayonet is in excellent condition. One of the nicest blades I've seen on a police bayonet. Hard to believe this blade was cut down at one time and refurbished.

Tim,

These Weimar produced bayonets were originally very well made which is, I suppose, why many have lasted this long in such good condition. In fact a lot of the beaters we see nowadays are as a result of post 1945 hijinks, likely by vets' kids or just poor conservation. That said, it's still nice to see a well conditioned example.

Originally I was struck by the overall excellence of a single fire bayonet that I purchased about 10 years ago. It was an Eickhorn with the '35-'41 logo & although many of these suffer from plate loss, etc., this one looked like it was forged a week previous. Just perfect with the exception of the frog & knot which were similarly perfect, albeit toned with age tarnish. Now, 110 fire bayonets later, I'm still a sucker for any fire piece with a maker/distributor mark I need. At least I can console myself by knowing I probably have most of them by now.

I've added three more pics of the police bayonet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?   Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?  

Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?  

Billy,
    I agree most bayonets you see today that are in real bad shape were abused after being brought back, heck, I even saw a k98k dress bayonet that a fisherman had sharpened and kept in his tackle box! WOW...You have 110 fire bayonets? I have all the dress bayonets (fire, k98k and fireman sawback) just two examples of each, long and short versions, all mine are in near mint conditon too. The only police bayonet I have is the one pictured. Don't have any pioneer dress bayonets though, those things are VERY hard to find. Posted 3 more pics of the police bayonet, the blade is mint.

Thanks for the extra pics. It is very nice example.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast