Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?

Article about: I've had this long Police Bayonet in my collection for about 10 years. I admit, like most collectors, bought a lot of pieces without being truly knowledgable on the subject when I first star

Default Re: Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?

These police bayonets were issued in Prussia beginning in 1929 with the markings added to the crossguard and scabbard at that time. The shortening and/or removal of the clamshell occurred almost ten years later. There was no subsequent marking of the bayonets, so any mismatched parts would be attributed to vets sharing and swapping parts.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?
    P
    Many

make that 6 times..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The WKC logo posted is legitimate & period, looks to be on a Feuerwehr bayonet? I have one with the same logo. The crossguard is uncharacteristically wide (like an Eickhorn) & it has an odd pattern bakelite. Might we see some additional pics?

I've seen and have examples where imperfect dies were used in stampings. But I'm still working through what might be the cause, especially with the lettering, of this latest stamp looking like it does. FP

(Posted: One as first pictured image and one inverted.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?   Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?  

Can't really see the Solingen part but it looks similar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone knowledgable on Police Bayonets?  

Thanks Billy . I was trying to figure out why the Knight's Head was OK. The "WKC" part was reasonably well done (with maybe a hint of the letter "C" breaking down. But the "Solingen" part is all over the place. Multi-piece die set - improper hardening - who knows? With your comparative example helpful and maybe a little further down the road? With no offense - but the second "N" in Solingen on yours looks like it is noticeably damaged/broken down by comparison (if it's not the lighting). Best Regards, Fred

Fred,

Yup, that's how it looks in person, no offense taken. I was told way back this was a late WKC mark but I wouldn't have deduced that from the bayonet itself. Magnetic hilt, heavy & very well made. Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if it was subcontracted out to Eickhorn because the hilt looks like a dead ringer for Eick's product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2