Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Blunt tip on Red Cross Daggers

Article about: my question is whether anyone knows that the daggers of the German Red Cross have blunt tip what is the purpose or use? thank you Annoyed from this ads?  

Quote by kirby View Post
    Here is a US Medical Corp bolo knife. It is more of a weapon than the DRC sidearm.
    Kirby, The point is well noted. But for myself, I would offer a bit of dialogue from the movie Crocodile Dundee: "That's not a knife" ...... then pulling out large bowie knife ..... THAT's a knife". But unfortunately at the moment I don't have a picture of an entrenching tool to post. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blunt tip on Red Cross Daggers
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    These sidearms are outside of my areas of interests, but the topic did turn up in looking at some political (SA) daggers that were supposed to be connected to
    Carl Eduard Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, who was (among other things) the "Präsident des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes" circa 1936. 'Cutting to the chase': The DRK was more politically connected than you might think on the surface including being involved with some who had a connection to the KZ's, and even providing funds for the SS(?). With the sidearms themselves IMO just accessories to a uniform, and the saw teeth themselves possibly symbolic of the saw teeth on some bayonets that could also be used to cut splints, stretcher supports, etc. Not that I'm suggesting that they were used as functional tools in field/combat operations. With the blade tip (as was suggested) very likely a symbolic "de-militarization". Best Regards, Fred
    I think you (and everyone else) are largely correct. Agree that these were not field weapons like the bolo so not used beyond a dress uniform (and the construction supports this).

My point of my posts however are still based on the original connection (assumption?) that the blunt tip was to signify that it was not a combat weapon or as Kradspam noted to signify no harm (both of which are along parallel lines of reasoning).

As far are the saw teeth, I agree with the others that this was symbolic as well but based again on traditional usage of earlier field used tools such as for making splints, stretchers, etc.

Think of it as a dress version of a Swiss Army knife......

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I still wouldn't like to get whacked around the side of me swede with one though.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Its simple:
    Medics were not allowed to wear any type of weapons on the battlefields by the Geneve convention rules.
    Given the DRK Hewer its blunt tip, made it a tool and not a weapons classification.

Cheers,
    Ger

..... and I always thought that it was for opening cans of limberger cheese ( german smelling salts )

That'd get any wounded man up on his feet!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Actually , German medics (army troops trained to assist and care for wounded, sick, injured soldiers did carry weapons. In the US, no they didn't. I have enough WW1 photos of Germans wearing pistols, and a few with rifles/carbines.

But the DRK was not on a battlefield (meaning front lines, immediate combat area, while fighting was on going.), just as the US red cross was not on the front lines treating injured troops.

Patrick

?

it was always my understanding that the hewer was a field carried tool. the saw back is for cutting small branches or sapling trees, for splints. the chisel point combined with the pommel shape made for a good tool for splitting the branches and saplings by hand, so you get 2 pieces with flat sides for splints. the saw would be much to coarse for bone.

Here is mine just for the heck of it
    Blunt tip on Red Cross DaggersBlunt tip on Red Cross Daggers

Very Nice John the patina is beautiful
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

#Patrick: i quote:
    But the DRK was not on a battlefield (meaning front lines, immediate combat area, while fighting was on going.), just as the US red cross was not on the front lines treating injured troops.
    Patrick"

lets clearify my post:
    The DRK, Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (German Red Cross), was a civil assistance organization under auspices of the Ministry of the Interior. Due to its non-combatant status, it had to conform to the international Geneva Convention which directed that members not carry any weapons, including edged weapons. As a result the DRK Subordinates hewer was designed with a squared blunt tip, to preclude its classification as a weapon and allow its wear in the field.

Regards,
    Ger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast