Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

bout to buy a k98 bayonet carried by a waffen ss troop

Article about: Got some cool news , a dealer in knives in Washington who has collected for his life has offered me a cool piece. He has a bayonet which was picked off of a waffen ss troop. He bought the ba

?

Cool bout to buy a k98 bayonet carried by a waffen ss troop

Got some cool news , a dealer in knives in Washington who has collected for his life has offered me a cool piece. He has a bayonet which was picked off of a waffen ss troop. He bought the bayonet from a vet. I have bought from this guy before and he is reliable. I bought my first k98 bayonet from him a few years ago. I'm snagging it for 145. It is in amazing condition as well. It comes with a frog that's in okay shape. I'm getting a bargain on this one. BTW he is a Vietnam veteran and owns some Japanese generals katana, pretty cool guy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement bout to buy a k98 bayonet carried by a waffen ss troop
    P
    Many

Sounds cool, do you have any pics? does the owner have any provenance to prove that it belonged to an SS soldier. like a pic of the vet that brought it back, etc. not that i dont believe it, but those things are always good to have.

?

No photos, I will have some in an hour or 2. I have photos of the markings etc, but not on this phone.

- - ------- - -

No photos, I will have some in an hour or 2. I have photos of the markings etc, but not on this phone.

?

I would be interested to see what leads to this being related to the SS should be interesting

?

The markings are 1940 made, made by berg&co, blade is 4139 b. Can this tell us anything?

Quote by WillC View Post
    The markings are 1940 made, made by berg&co, blade is 4139 b. Can this tell us anything?
    No standard marks for this year of a s84/98 could have been to any wermacht solider. timothy

?

There would be no "official" markings on the bayo to show use in the SS. During WWII the Wehrmacht had abandoned property marking bayo's, except for the Kriegsmarine of course. So normally there would be no way to tell a Heer issued bayo from an SS. That being said, if it is a numbers matching 84/98, then $145 is a great price. If it is mismatched and in good condition, $145 is about right.

Jim

I would like to move this thread into the K98 forum..but without photos..the thread will remain here or eventually become deleted. Provide photos and I will edit the thread by moving them into your first post and delete prior irrelevant postings. Thread will be moved to K98 forum. There are some seasoned collectors here waiting for your photos. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Any pics yet?

It was not at all uncommon for all sorts of things to be attributed directly to the Waffen-SS. With the problem being that some supposedly SS items came from veterans in places where the Waffen-SS never had a presence or fought. With GI's mistaking the tenacity and ability of ordinary German Army soldiers for the Waffen-SS. And it's the pictures that are going to tell the story of just what the bayonet really is. Best Regards, Fred