Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Care for your collection

Article about: Wow, what a brilliant thread, thanks Sam for starting it, I have learnt a lot! I'll be buying myself some of that wax for sure, I only have the one dagger but I want it looked after properly

Default Care for your collection

I wanted to get you advice on caring for SA, SS and RLB daggers. Do you do anything to prevent the wood or blade from further aging? I have heard of people oiling the blades and wiping them clean or wood oil on the handle? Just curios...I only have a few items, but I want to take the best care that I can for them!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Care for your collection
    P
    Many

Default Re: Care for your collection

NO NO NO to oil! It will grey the blade in the long term.

Only use Rennaisance Wax on daggers. It can safely be used on both wood and metal.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade! I am glad I asked!

?

Sam, good to know that you want to look after your items. It means that history has a better chance of being preserved! Also, VERY good that you checked before using the oil. As Ade says above, wax is the best option. I have heard this from several collectors/dealers over the years.

Regards,

Carl

I just bought some of the wax! Thank you both! I want these items to be handed down to my children's kids! Would you use this on medals and stick pins as well?

Great!

It can be used safely on most things. Just don't use it on Japanese Sake cups: it will take the inscriptions off!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Ade, I do hope that you didn't learn that the hard way...

No, but sadly a forum friend did.

So wax could be used on German helmets or no? How people like the untuch stuff and all

Only use it if there is a need. Blades need some protection, especially from peoples fingers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast