Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dagger, need help figuring out what I have.

Article about: A while back I posted my Yosegaki Hinomaru and had some awesome information provided to me by some members here. Hoping maybe some people can help me out in the same way with this dagger as

Default Dagger, need help figuring out what I have.

A while back I posted my Yosegaki Hinomaru and had some awesome information provided to me by some members here. Hoping maybe some people can help me out in the same way with this dagger as far as a time period for this blade and who might have been issued this blade.

This blade might not be from the Third Reich but it's design is similar to some Third Reich daggers I've seen so I'm posting this here.

Back story on this piece, it was given to me by my grandmother. It used to belong to her father, my great grandfather, who was a doughboy served in France during the First World War. My grandmother seems pretty that he brought the dagger back with him from the war, but says he also might have acquired at a later date.

Here are some pictures:

I'm also thinking that the dagger might have looked a bit more like this, minus the Third Reich markings, and had the hand guard removed:

After seeing that picture I looked more closely at the dagger and saw this:

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any information on this I'd love to hear it! Also, is this dagger worth anything? I'm not ever going to get rid of it, as we've kept my great grandfather's belongings in the family for a long time including his uniform he wore in France..but just curious. Thanks!

- Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dagger, need help figuring out what I have.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dagger, need help figuring out what I have.

A sword converted into a trench knife/close-combat weapon...Nice!
    cheers, Glenn

Bigmacglenn, so I'm assuming the picture I posted with the Third Reich markings is in fact a sword correct? Is this something that would have been done in the field or in a factory? And was re-purposing a blade like that very common? Looking forward to find out more about this, thanks!

- Nick

We've seen various similar conversions on the forum before...These were field-made as far as I know...
    I look forward to other opinions as well...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    A sword converted into a trench knife/close-combat weapon...Nice!
    cheers, Glenn
    That imediatly came to mind.
    I agree with you Gleen.

The reasons for this are unclear but its always possible that this was made in-field.

Cheers
    Nuno

Nice piece. Could have originally been a sword with a broken
    or badly bent blade..........
    Regards,

Steve.

Interesting dagger..but it was well transformed. Im not sure of its worth. Neat item.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cool little item, even the scabbard was cut down nicely, since it about 1/3 the size of a sword maybe it would be 1/3 the price lol

?

Nice converted imperial dove head saber by Holler
    very well done...love that piece!
    cheers,
    Ger
    Dagger, need help figuring out what I have.

?

Very cool a first for me I have yet to see one like it well done too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast