Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dagger Storage

Article about: Hello, I'm new to the forum and I just recently started collecting. I inherited my grandfather's daggers, one of them he actually picked up himself during ww2. My question is what is the bes

Incursion
    ?

Default Dagger Storage

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I just recently started collecting. I inherited my grandfather's daggers, one of them he actually picked up himself during ww2. My question is what is the best way to store these right now I have them in my safe, do I need put anything on them such as an oil, also is it recommended to put them in some kind of case or box? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm gone for long trips with the military and I want to preserve these as best I can. Thank you

2. # ADS

Hi Incursion, I wouldn't put oil anywhere on your daggers as dust and dirt can stick to it, this would cause damage to the blade against the runners every time you withdrew it and put it back in. If the environment that you store your daggers in is dry then a simple wipe down with a soft cloth every 2 to 3 months should be all that is needed, if your daggers are in a humid environment then a good idea would be to use renaissance wax especially on the blade to give it a protective coating against moisture, I keep my daggers in zipper bags as they also help protect and keep moisture away from them, your daggers should be ok in your safe and if it is humid check on them more often and make sure you wipe off any moisture and rust if you find any. I hope this helps and good luck with your collecting.

Forgot to mention if you do plan on waxing your blades you might want to clean them first, simichrome seems to be a good product for this, also check out some other threads on here, there's a one further down this page entitled Poll and Opinions: ww11 dagger, sword and knife storage, you might get some good ideas from here but opinions differ so you might also end up confused. Good luck.

Hello Incursion..interesting name..do you have any photos to share..we would like to share in the history. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill