Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Damascus period ?

Article about: Hey guys I would like to hear some opinions from experts. It's probably artificial Damascus,but is it period ? Thanks

Default Damascus period ?

Hey guys
    I would like to hear some opinions from experts.
    It's probably artificial Damascus,but is it period ?

Thanks

Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Damascus period ?
    P
    Many

Hi Ivan.. Great Photos..will allow sharper eyes to prevail. I like the gilt on the crescent logo on the blade. Wait for more opinions. Nice find Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Ivan just my 2 cents:
    the crossguard of an Applikants dagger, the eagle beak of an Argentina export dirk made by Herder in the late 19th century...it would not be surprised if this would turn out to be a strange fake......
    Here my Herder dirk, look at the hilt style and look at this applikants dagger....
    I dont know, but i have my concerns, i could be totaly wrong but its not something i would buy..
    Regards,
    Ger
    Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?

?

Ivan i realy think this is a total fantasy make up, the eagle on the grip emblem is the Garde Star of the Pruisian Royal army.
    Look at the center of this "Pickelhaube".....the same....that seems odd on a German Weyersberg blade and a French dedication to the King and his chasseurs.
    Regards,
    Ger
    Damascus period ?Damascus period ?

Artists rendition... sometimes can be confusing when these articles were created..as artists were plentiful and the best representation was chosen. We have seen many variants of the same one thing ...but each separate by the producer. Not all will be the same unless it all came from the same source.

my 3cents
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks guys
    I already returned this piece,but I found one similar for sale here

Guard Dagger around 1900 [SUUM CUIQUE] by WKC Solingen

?

Hi Ivan,

that one is an even worse fake, at least your dedication has been spelled correctly
    The one you point out to has 2 big mistakes: the biggest ist the French word for King= Roi, ( they came up with= Roy......what they did after that is even funnier: Chafseurs....instead of chasseur ( Hunter)
    Im glad you could return the darn thing, case closed i guess
    i will post the picture of the darn fake before the link will vanish....
    Regards,
    Ger
    Damascus period ?

?

Ivan more of these exotic daggers/ hirschfängers are poping up lately on German auction sites
    Also with the missed spelled dedication.
    Here another one.
    Regards,
    Ger
    Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?Damascus period ?

?

Ivan i digged into this thing a bit, as it has the appikants kind of crossguard it came somehow a bit familiar to me, i had seen it on some auction.
    I was able to find that one and i can now tell you what this dagger is:
    Hirschfänger für einen Oberjäger preußische Jäger-Bataillone
    I have found two so far, like the applikants dagger they are rare and expensive and as proven above they are copied.
    The originals both have no maker mark.
    Here to compare:
    Regards
    Ger
    Damascus period ?Damascus period ?

Thanks Ger
    It's scary what fakers can do these days
    Regards
    Ivan