Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diplomatic/Government Dagger??

Article about: This is not really part of the forum I frequent as I'm not really a fan of German 'Dagger's ...much rather a nice combat S84/98 bayonet. Any my reason for being here is a friend at work has

Default Diplomatic/Government Dagger??

This is not really part of the forum I frequent as I'm not really a fan of German 'Dagger's ...much rather a nice combat S84/98 bayonet.

Any my reason for being here is a friend at work has a dagger that belonged to his late father in law and brought it in to show me and see if I could find anything out about it. Unfortunately not having any interest in daggers I wasn't much use but I said I knew some people who did...so I've taken some pics (sorry they ain't exactly brilliant but hopefully they'll do) and I'd be really pleased if you can fill me in on the details so I can pass it on to my mate.

First of all what I do know, or I think I know anyhow...

It's either a Diplomatic or a Government Officials dagger? I think it's a Diplomatic one due to the eagle on the crossguard facing to the right as you look at it, whereas the Government one facing to the left???
    It has a tag tied to it which states "Diplomats Scabbard - very scarce" which makes me also think it might be a Diplomatic one.
    The tag also says "Dagger made up" which kinda hints at it being made up from parts? Looking at it in person the dagger has definitely been apart, the crossguard isn't tight, the grip panels seem a bit loose and the biggest clue of the lot that something is amiss is the spanner nut is missing totally and it looks like the blade tang has now been soldered to the pommel and the ground flat - you can see this in the pics when I get them all posted. So it's either a 'pick and mix dagger' or it could be the original that was taken apart once too many times and something has happened to the nut or the tang and it's been put back together permenantly...
    The dagger is made by Holler.

Right picture time, might have to spread these out over a couple of replies as there is a few.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Diplomatic/Government Dagger??   Diplomatic/Government Dagger??  

Diplomatic/Government Dagger??   Diplomatic/Government Dagger??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Diplomatic/Government Dagger??
    P
    Many

Some more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Diplomatic/Government Dagger??   Diplomatic/Government Dagger??  

And some more...

You'll be getting bored with these soon... lol

Last lot...

Right, there you go, any info or opinions welcomed.

Obviously from a collectors point of view the Spanner Nut 'problem' is going to be a bit of a killer blow I would of thought and the fact it might be a parts dagger ain't going to help either? That said, if it is a Diplomatic dagger I believe they are pretty damned expensive and therefore would this still have some sort of value to it still? I'm not sure what he is intending doing with it but it would be nice to give him an idea if what he has is virtually scrap or if it does still have some worth to it - maybe a cheap way to a Diplomatic dagger for someone setting off, spare parts or whatever?

Many thanks!

?

The dagger is a reproduction. The real Mfg. "Holler" was in Solingen. That trademark it is from the 70's time period of repro's

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    The dagger is a reproduction. The Mfg. "Holler" was in Soligen. That trademark it is from the 70's time period
    I agree with Phil.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    The dagger is a reproduction. The real Mfg. "Holler" was in Solingen. That trademark it is from the 70's time period of repro's

Semper Fi
    Phil
    That sorts that then! I must admit I did wonder about the Berlin bit as I knew F W Holler from the bayonet point point of view were in Solingen but not having a scooby about daggers just presumed it was another one.

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    That sorts that then! I must admit I did wonder about the Berlin bit as I knew F W Holler from the bayonet point point of view were in Solingen but not having a scooby about daggers just presumed it was another one.
    Yeah....It's made by his Spanish cousin; pronounced "Hola".
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast