Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DRK Leader's Dagger added

Article about: -- Picked this up recently. It was one piece of two (the other being a DRK helmet) that I'd put aside on layaway and finally paid off. A good feeling to now have possession of it and have it

Default DRK Leader's Dagger added

-- Picked this up recently. It was one piece of two (the other being a DRK helmet) that I'd put aside on layaway and finally paid off. A good feeling to now have possession of it and have it tucked away safely

DRK Leader's Dagger addedDRK Leader's Dagger addedDRK Leader's Dagger addedDRK Leader's Dagger addedDRK Leader's Dagger addedDRK Leader's Dagger added

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRK Leader's Dagger added
    P
    Many

Nice looking dagger especially with the Rounded Holes on the Scabbard ... as opposed to the more common rectangular.
    All you want now is a nice set of straps and portepee, either Red Cross Straps or Social Welfare ones would suffice.

Great score!
    And not that often encountered with the rounded holes.. looks to be in good condition from these pics.

Quote by Stevade View Post
    Nice looking dagger especially with the Rounded Holes on the Scabbard ... as opposed to the more common rectangular.
    -- Thank you for the info Stevade. I wasn't even aware of the rounded hole vs. rectangular hole feature! You do indeed learn something new every day.

Hi Mediumtail
    If you go on Lakesidetrader web site he lists both versions .... round hole and rectangular.
    The round one is often called the Social Welfare and Rectangular being the Red Cross.
    However there’s a few doubters who say it’s just different manufacturers of the dagger, which by the way always have plain blades.

?

Nice piece. Score yourself a pair of hangers for it at some point. Here is a link to mine for comparison: Social Welfare Dagger
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Quote by Stevade View Post
    Hi Mediumtail
    If you go on Lakesidetrader web site he lists both versions .... round hole and rectangular.
    The round one is often called the Social Welfare and Rectangular being the Red Cross.
    However there’s a few doubters who say it’s just different manufacturers of the dagger, which by the way always have plain blades.
    It isn't just a difference in manufactures. There are at least 2 different manufactures for both the round hole (Social Welfare) and for the square hole (Red Cross), with there being a 3rd type of scabbard for Red Cross. I am sorry I have to use links to show what I mean.

So the common Red Cross Red Cross Leader Dagger | Lakesidetrader uses the eagle commonly associated with Klaas. If you look at the hanger connectors, the holes are close to the scabbard the hole is bigger and the external corners of the holes are rounded.

The rarer version of the Red Cross Red Cross Leader Dagger | Lakesidetrader uses the eagle commonly associated with PDL. Once again if you look at the hanger connectors the holes are farther from the scabbard, hole is smaller and the external corners are sharp.

If you now look at the Social Welfare (round hole) you see a reversal the common version Social Welfare Leader Dagger with Hangers | Lakesidetrader is the eagle associate with the PDL and has the hole fairly far from the scabbard and has a smaller hole

The rare version of the Social Welfare Führerdolch (DRK) - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums has the eagle associated with Klaas and has the hole closer to the body of the scabbard and hole itself is bigger (you can see how little metal is left between hole and edge).

There is a 3rd scabbard found on the square hole which has a single lower scabbard screw. It has the eagle that is associated with Klaas but there is thoughts that these are a 3rd manufacture and are very rare and have not had any round hole versions.

If you talk with the old collectors who buy from vets you will find that it is almost always the same, round scabbards come with the square Social Welfare hangers and the square hole scabbards come with the round Red Cross hangers.
    Last edited by M.E.E.; 08-15-2019 at 03:58 AM. Reason: social welfare not service

Good Stuff and well researched MEE
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

That was a great lesson M.E.E. Thank you.
    So he has the Führerdolch? Is that correct?
    and is this dagger maker marked?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That was a great lesson M.E.E. Thank you.
    So he has the Führerdolch? Is that correct?
    and is this dagger maker marked?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    From my understanding none of these officer blades are marked and we are only going on the fact that the eagles are the same from EM hewers that are marked. Here is where things start getting muddier. There are thoughts that the unmarked EM might be made by or for different makers who did not mark their blades. I am not sure if I believe this myself (I can go into that if you want). That is the reason I put associated and pointed out scabbard differences. There are a bunch of other inconsistencies when it comes to Red Cross officers and hewers that no one can explain. But without a doubt there are at least 5 different scabbard patterns and two eagle patterns associated with this blade.
    The one here is a great Social Welfare officers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast