Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

E. Pack & Sohne lions head sword question

Article about: My question is about the eagle on the crossguard of this sword. In my research of this maker I found several variations of the eagle used. Do the way the eagles wings are made have any speci

?

Default E. Pack & Sohne lions head sword question

My question is about the eagle on the crossguard of this sword. In my research of this maker I found several variations of the eagle used. Do the way the eagles wings are made have any special meaning on these swords or did the company just use a lot of different eagles?
    If it does have a special meaning, can anyone tell me what this one means?
    Im also adding a picture of the stamping on the blade.
    Thanks for any info.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture E. Pack & Sohne lions head sword question   E. Pack & Sohne lions head sword question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement E. Pack & Sohne lions head sword question
    P
    Many

?

Many heer sword producers used the political style eagle in there patterns,lots of different variations to collect

Hi Creig..welcome to the forum...to add to what LMG has stated........In general on all types of swords and daggers ,,the Crossguard and grip inlaid eagles..did signify a separation in Service branches both Political and non political types. In your photo...your Ernst Pack & Sohn is a desirable maker to own. IMO collecting the same type of sword with many variations from characteristics to producers is a great teaching and collecting tool. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

What also happened a lot is that the eagle style changed along the way.
    You have the last E pack logo so its a later type sword, the eagle evolved a lot since the early hand enhanced/engraved types.

Cheers,
    Ger

?

Thanks everyone for the info.
    This one has really been a tough one to search. Not only are the eagles different on almost everyone of the E. Pack & Sohne swords I have looked at online, but there is a lot of difference in prices of the ones listed for sale online. I've had a few collectors tell me this one is worth $500-700 however the ones I see online are priced $900-3800. It really makes it confusing.
    Of course I learned a long time ago that people can ask whatever they want for something online, it doesnt mean they will sell it for that much or its worth those amounts.
    Anyone have a 'realistic' price for this sword?

?

Depends a bit on where you live.
    In many parts of Europe, at least Holland and Belgium for some reason a sword is not that expensive.
    You get lots of steel for a good price.
    This one would do with present low market prices a 600-700 euro if it has a dent free nice scabbard.

Cheers,
    Ger

Ger is right.
    Also check the P guard,there is one rare and valuable pattern.
    If you find a luftwaffe eagle on the P guard,then you have rare and valuable sword.

Regards