Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Edged Weapon Disassembly.....Research or Sacrilege

Article about: For quite a few decades up until recently..the question arises..how do we know if its real or not? Some say a good hard study of comparable examples...that should teach us not to take down a

IMO if you own it, and want to take it to bits, fill your boots.
    I personally wouldnt but then i dont own it, and equally wont be buying it after youve taken it to bits!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Edged Weapon Disassembly.....Research or Sacrilege
    P
    Many

I need to reiterate my thoughts again on this issue as lately the dagger forum has been seeing some daggers taken down and displayed for comment for a complete authentication. There is no reason that these dagger should be taken down at all especially by those who do not know what to look for at first glance of the dagger or sword. The reason why these daggers get posted here is for the collectors who study these types..that "ARE ABLE TO INDENTIFY...AT FIRST GLANCE"....if for some reason a dagger ..has complicated issues that are far from the standard generic identification process.......then at that point with the help of a seasoned collector..and as a last resort...it may be possible to take a peek at a few areas of interest not visible in photos.
    This has been my largest push for all who collect these types is to >_< STUDY STUDY STUDY FIRST!!
    Taking down a dagger without common knowledge of Visual identification..seriously depreciates the dagger and possible permanent damage..to the fittings or blade.
    I would be very encouraging for those new collectors...and the semi proficient...to take as best detailed and clear photos..which will avoid an unnecessary take down.
    Heer / Luftwaffe / HJ / Kriegsmarine / RAD / SA & SS are very much identifiable by our collectors here..these types mentioned are considered common branches of Third Reich Service.
    If you are not sure of the authenticity of a dagger or sword..Post here first ...OR.. if it is a private matter recruit the help of a senior collector and discuss it privately by PM.
    For the sake of the dagger or sword and mostly for the sake of the History for which this piece represents...preserve it by respecting it for what it is and the Time period it represents. There is a process of elimination with issues...and taking down a dagger at first point should be reserved as a last resort. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Hi Larry

If I may participate in your fine thread here. The historian in me says don't touch it! All of my collectables has been dusted with a brush and that's as far as I care to go, I would not even clean anything. I do oil my weapons, firearms, so they function as intended. At the same time, I couldn't risk $20K on a fake dagger (or other item) and would take it apart to prove authenticity. Only to prove authenticity and not any other curiosity. I guess aliens would be safe with me, I wouldn't chop 'em up.

Mark
    Indeed, the aliens would be safe, that is unless they cost 20k
    My positions has always been leave it alone.
    I will say being a dagger can be "put back to its original setting" without any damage I'm more inclined to see this happen so long it's done by someone who knows what they're doing.
    However, I do hope that at this point we can determine a items authenticity without destroying it. If we can't, it maybe time to get out, IMO. Sure, nobody wants to waste a large sum of money on a reproduction, but does that really give you the right to destroy a piece of history, one that doesn't even belong to you, nor can be replaced? To me the historical value will always out weight the monetary value, thus, the answer to said question will always be No! These people that destroy, literally, historical items in the name of research tend to always feel a sense of "entitlement" to do so due to their "expertises". Yet, these experts in our field show no respect for something they didn't earn, and always seem to contribute their cause to...in the name of saving someone's money. That, I just can't understand that. Money shouldn't give right for some cocky collector to destroy something that doesn't belong to him, and can't be reproduced. As I've stated, there are others ways to go about this which aren't harmful to the item. If you're really that interested and want to "help" persee, shell out that cash to have scientific testing done such as test to determine the dye and other materials used. Such will reveal identical results. If they can fake the material without flaw, I'm sure they can add a few marks in the hidden areas. Remember, they're reading this too, and learn from it just as much as we do.

Add: A great example is Doug, and his methods. He is able to study his decals in-depth, determine their authenticity, and learn more about them than most, all awhile doing so without damaging the item in the least bit. If he can do so, everyone else should be able to as well.
    I salute you Doug for your methods of practice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3