Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Edged Weapon Poll

Article about: So what gets your juices flowing most when looking at a dress dagger, sword, knife or bayonet? I know now after 30 years what I like but I wanted to throw this out to the veteran collectors

What a fantastic thread and one I will be keeping a close eye on!

Personally when I look at buying daggers, the first thing I always look for is untouched, so I check pommel nuts, scabbard nuts, anything which can be moved I visually check.
    Chips, scrapes, bruises are all part in parcel of dagger ownership which I consider perfectly normal.
    I like to see a very heavy matching patina, matching patina's are always a good sign that there are no switched parts.
    With blades, I don't like to see corrosion. That said when looking at an untouched dagger I always appreciate the blade would have spent a considerable amount of time in the scabbard on the runners so I except a little where these rest.
    I also wouldn't buy anything sharpened although sharpening I feel is more acceptable to see on a youth knife of luftwaffe knife.

If I were to buy a sword, in addition to what I have said above the other thing I always look for is a nice long blade. Long swords are always more desirable than short. For example Lufwaffe swords are usually short so you'll be lucky to find one over 29.5" so if you can great. SS swords are generally easier to find longer so I look out for the 31"-32" plus on these types.

Hangers are ok if you plan on hanging them for show or leaving them static. Most hanger types have big heavy clips on the end which when handled incorrectly can swing and damage the grips/scabbard paintwork- something easily done!
    Knots are beautiful, and of course soft, so if there were a choice id rather a knot over hangers.

With the early/late argument I think we are seeing allot more acceptance of the later stuff now. There was a stage where the later stuff wasn't as wanted, but I think as long as its good, it represents how things were at that point so why not.

again great thread matty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Edged Weapon Poll
    P
    Many

?

I like to have a goal to aim for so when I started collecting I wrote down all the different kinds of daggers I needed to complete my collection. I love searching for them and I get a real buzz when I acquire one that I need and see my collection growing. I love looking at these and like others I get a sense of history when handling them.

matty01 unless your a woman whats an inch or two. lol.

Salty combat bayonets for me!...

Quote by Tomaz View Post
    matty01 unless your a woman whats an inch or two. lol.
    Hey, when im talking about swords its the only time I get to talk in inches...................

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    My choice would be the Been There Done That look. I like to hold my swords,bayonets and daggers and listen to the story they have to tell.
    I agree completely with Phil on this.

When I first replied to this poll, I looked at the main thread title that simply says "edged weapon poll"
    I missed the subtitle that says "edged dress collecting poll" So really I have should not even be taking part
    in this because I own only two German dress daggers and you guys would not give either one a
    second look.---------However, my first true collecting love have always been edged weapons.
    I started buying bayonets when I was 13, when they could be found at the local surplus stores
    for $6 or $8. To me, a edged weapon is a tool, some are very utilitarian while others are designed
    for a more deadly single purpose. It is these tools that I like. Knives made to do a job.
    Don't get me wrong, I like pretty presentation knives as well. In fact I would still like to find
    a nice Pumpkin grip 2nd model Luft. and of coarse who does not want to own a mint chained SS.
    But the ones that really turn my crank are the ww1 trench knives, or the 98/05 sawtooths. The
    British F-S knives, the V-42 or the Vietnam era Randalls and Gerbers.

As Phil said--these knives have a story to tell.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Sorry for going off topic a bit there. I really enjoy looking at
    all of your dress daggers. I just never had any access to them or the funds to buy them.
    gregM

myself around.

?

With daggers and swords I like them in very good to excellent condition. No damage but some light wear and patina. I wouldn't turn down a stone mint item but I wouldn't pay a huge premium. I will give up some condition for rarity. I could have bought a Himmler SS a few months ago for $5700. A chunk out of the handle lots of pitting to the blade. I knew I would never be happy with the dagger so better to pass on it.

?

These days i like nice unmessed with daggers & hj knifes with a top conditioned blade

Origional dirty Patina on the fittings as well

Dagger wise > SA, SS, & Hj knifes are my favourites, also like RAD hewers & Police bayos, 1st lufts, early slant heers are cool as well , in fact i like most TR daggers

Happy Collecting Guys

I'm happy to see some more replies to this thread. I thought I
    might have killed it yesterday.
    gregM

myself around.

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I'm happy to see some more replies to this thread. I thought I
    might have killed it yesterday.
    Not at all brother Greg! IT has been great to hear everyone's insight. It is great to see what everyone is thinking and opinions. I am grateful for the time each person has taken. Good for the collecting soul.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast