Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?

Article about: I am aware that one of the grip screws and washer is a replacement. I however had someone ask me if the grip was original and mentioned that it looked strange. It appears to be either stag o

Default Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?

I am aware that one of the grip screws and washer is a replacement. I however had someone ask me if the grip was original and mentioned that it looked strange. It appears to be either stag or bone and I have seen a few Eickhorn RAD's with this type of grip... Thoughts?

Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Eickhorn RAD Dagger Grips?

Some of the later one's were synthetic, but this one appears to have grain like horn, maybe try the hot pin test?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

This would be a great question our Members who are hunters..that would know about this type of graining.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Looks like bone instead of the usual stag grips.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I was thinking it looked like bone because of the striations and the yellowing discolouration but i dont know enough about horn to comment

I have never seen bone on RADs.
    Can we see the blade TM ?

Ned,can you show us some pictures of the original synthetic grips?
    Thanks

I also say it's bone. Maybe synthetic material.

Yes, these are "jigged" bone grips. The stag pattern is machined with a round burr. This material can still be purchased today. A google search on Jigged Bone will show the various patterns available. This material has been a classic choice for grips for many years, mostly in the US, but also in Europe. Many of the knife manufacturers used it for their pocket knife production, so not impossible to see it as a stag substitute for bayonets and in this case a RAD hewer.

Wolfgang

Almost certainly bone. The graining and striations are much different in appearance than from horn.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast