Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

EM Red Cross Hewer to Share

Article about: I have had this one for a little while but thought it was a good example to share. There is some crazing in the paint on the one side of the scabbard and there is a hole on the back side of

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A very nice clean example!
    As I learned after posting my example, yours is likely a Klaas produced hewer. It is probably marked under the handle slabs.
    The two side screws on the lower fitting of the scabbard would indicate this.
    My hanger is also stamped with a capital H. Mine also has the hole in the backside, likely put there by the vet to display on his wall.
    You can see it here.
    DRK Hewer, new to my collection.
    Ralph.
    You can actually tell a Klaas blade from the Luneschloss by the disk, eagle, and buffer pad, and the scabbard by the screws. The PDL the edge on the disk is pointed not slightly rounded like a Klaas. The eagle on a Klaas has almost missing its legs and the talons are not as defined while on the PDL you can actually see the legs and the talons are not just a blob and are distinguishable from the toes. And lastly the PDL buffer pads are always black and while not plastic they have that look while Klaas will often have turned brown like these and more often than not have a actual leather look. I have included my PDL to compare to the OP's you can see the eagle is different, the ovals edge is different and the buffer looks different. So if you see a round edge oval in a scabbard with no screws or a pointed edged oval in a bottom screw scabbard you know they are not original to the hewer.
    To the OP, very nice hewer and thanks for showing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EM Red Cross Hewer to Share  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement EM Red Cross Hewer to Share
    P
    Many

Great observation and Study MEE

Not enough producer detail data surrounds these Hewers as does other TR Edged weapons.
    Would be great to see a Red Cross Leader and Hewer Reference one day...... and .... The Social Welfare leaders dagger being closely related in physical detail. Great thread Gents

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Yes it would be nice to have more info on Red Cross Daggers and even Red Cross items in general. There is only one book on DRK items and it does have its errors and even fakes but it is better than nothing. I know of a few DRK collectors who are writing things for German magazines that are trying to get more info on DRK out there. As for the daggers there really is very little out there and it is sad since these are great daggers (both officer and enlisted). When it comes to officers daggers the rules of the makers are the same there but, and here where it is a tiny bit interesting, I have read some discussions that there might be a third maker or earlier version of the disk for these that are never found on enlisted. Rarely one comes up that seems to blend both features into one but no one can explain why. I will say I have never held one in hand so no first hand knowledge and it might just be rumours.

If you were to author such a reference, I would most certainly purchase one from you.

You could be the pioneer in this type of edged weapon carry .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Buckles are one of my favorite items to display with edged weapons. DRK work very well because the eagles are almost identical.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture EM Red Cross Hewer to Share  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2