Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fighting Knife?

Article about: I don't really know if this is the right area for this but I thought I'd cast a wide net while trying to ID this one. I thought it might be a British Fairbairn Sykes with a replaced grip, or

Default Fighting Knife?

I don't really know if this is the right area for this but I thought I'd cast a wide net while trying to ID this one. I thought it might be a British Fairbairn Sykes with a replaced grip, or as another member suggested possibly a German/Austrian fighting knife. I've posted it in the Imperial forum too.

Thanks folks.

Fighting Knife?Fighting Knife?Fighting Knife?Fighting Knife?Fighting Knife?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fighting Knife?
    P
    Many

Hi Krad..it can stay for the time being..but once identified, off it goes to its new home and correct forum Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry, nobody seems to really know though. It's a mystery blade!

A commercially produced knife blade with a home made grip? Highly doubtful if it's military. More than likely, a German made touristy thing that once had a cheap plastic handle on it that broke, so someone carved up a chunk of wood to keep it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It looks like a Dutch fighting knife ('stormdolk' they call it) but with a replaced grip. Maybe somebody made the grip at some point...

I like the knife, don't understand why we should be dismissive about it...it has all the features of a German Trench Knife to me...Field-replaced grip similar in configuration as a dagger, and the wood shows honest age/wear, blade is typical of the period as well as the brass hand-guard....Just my opinion...
    cheers, Glenn

It's a nice knife, certainly, but the blade is identical with any number of German or German style "boot knives". Look at the ones with the deer foot grips, etc. This was a Very common and popular double edge type of blade. With a field issued knife, it would be difficult to envision how it's sturdy grip would have been damaged to the point of having to replace it entirely. And if it somehow was, why not simply get a new knife? To carve and fit this new grip would have been a small task in itself. The crudely sunken in nut on the pommel also does not instill much confidence. Not to say that a GI could not have brought this home and replaced the grip in his basement workshop, but who can really say?
    Last edited by Wagriff; 07-08-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

We see many unusual modifications to blades, including shortened sabers and bayonets converted into trench knives, and there were plenty of idle hours available for such personal projects...I don't see why this couldn't be a field-made piece...it has all the characteristics of one, at least to my eyes, lol...I get the impression that it was important to a man at some point to go through the trouble...guess we'll never know for sure....

cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-08-2014 at 11:08 PM.

I quite like it whatever it is. I don't think it's right for a stormdolk, they seem to have a different way of fitting the grip to the tang from what I quickly saw on google.

If they are of any use, the measurements are:

277mm total length.
    157mm blade length.
    114mm grip length.
    21mm blade width at base.
    51mm cross guard length.
    3mm cross guard thickness.
    9mm pommel nut diameter.

Greetings Krad,

I’m with Glenn, in that your “theater made” knife looks like it was originally something like a WWI German trench knife. Attached, are some photos from a similar shaped blade, it’s not exactly the same, as the blade is least an inch longer than yours, but the blade’s shape is notably similar. The photos are from eBay item # 141292636729. While viewing the item, I kept wondering where I had seen the blade before and then I remembered this thread.

Regards,

Lance

Fighting Knife?