Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German blades cache

Article about: I picked these up for a hundred bucks the other day...I think I know what they are but not for sure...thoughts? Approx values?

Quote by fbeaty View Post
    I looked on this forum and found the Eickhorn is displayed same way as mine...on other Luftwaffe daggers.
    The trademark is of a stamped variety that I think was only used for the year 1941 and is therefore uncommon. I have a rather nice Heer dagger with the same logo.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German blades cache
    P
    Many

Hi, first I answer to Larry - please look carefully at the word "GERMANY" on the blade of trench knife. It looks to me not stamped but scratched by someone after the war, so that is why I wrote dagger is authentic despite word "Germany".

To the Luftwaffe dagger: It is 100% paritial dagger, blade is authentic with mark, which was used in 1940-1941, crossguard and pommel are not made by Eickhorn and Eickhorn don´t used this type of crossguard and pommel, grip certainly isn´t Eickhorn product, because this producer never use this type of wire, scabbard is W.K.C. - Eickhorn also never used W.K.C. scabbard. There is almost everything wrong on this dagger.

?

A parts dagger? Did the makers share parts based of availablity? Or I thought I read somewhere that makers shared parts...also Where is this information comming from? I wish to be informed

?

Quote by PeterCollector View Post
    Hi, first I answer to Larry - please look carefully at the word "GERMANY" on the blade of trench knife. It looks to me not stamped but scratched by someone after the war, so that is why I wrote dagger is authentic despite word "Germany".

To the Luftwaffe dagger: It is 100% paritial dagger, blade is authentic with mark, which was used in 1940-1941, crossguard and pommel are not made by Eickhorn and Eickhorn don´t used this type of crossguard and pommel, grip certainly isn´t Eickhorn product, because this producer never use this type of wire, scabbard is W.K.C. - Eickhorn also never used W.K.C. scabbard. There is almost everything wrong on this dagger.
    Someone on another forum is calling the Germany---> an import mark

?

Thanks for the clarification Ned and Peter. They only made these for one year in this manner...so it's a rarer variety. That explains why I'm not as familiar with it! I do know they made these after the war and the stamp was a bit different in some manner.
    As for this being a parts dagger, I don't know. I do know the factories had left over parts and GI's and civilians used extra parts to make souvenirs to sell or trade.

Yes, that is right, you read good information. Carl Eickhorn don´t share its own unique parts with other smaller producers - I mean crossguards and pommel. Eickhorn scabbard can be find on another daggers. Eickhorn has two unique pommels, which was use with his daggers and one generic. Eickhorn also use two crossguards its own and generic. Pommel and crossguard on your dagger don´t belong to them - they are not Eickhorn´s or generic. Eickhorn always use aluminium springy wire, not twisted brass wire, like is on your grip. It is true, that W.K.C. sold its own parts including scabbards, but Eickhorn never need to replace its own unique scabbard with W.K.C. So that is why I think your dagger is certainly partial.

?

I went to this site and it talks about how this manufacturer used differ parts on LW daggers...Wittmann Militaria - 2nd Model Luftwaffe Daggers, so how can one really clarify this?

Ok, so if you find Mr. Wittmann´s site, you can also purchas his book about Luftwaffe daggers, on this book you can easily read, which parts is generic and which is Eickhorn´s and which parts Eickhorn used on his daggers, and which parts Eickhorn never used. I´m just telling you my opinion, that this dagger is partial. Rest of information you have to find by yourself. And I will purchase you one tasty beer, if you find exact dagger on Mr. Wittmann´s site like you have. - but it must have Eickhorn mark

Crossguard which is on your dagger is very often find on Horster´s examples. Pommel is W.K.C., but also see very often on another daggers of producers which purchase parts from W.K.C.

Regards Peter

Hi FBeaty this is why I ask for the availability of period documentation on certain questionable items. One can not rely on just the word of another person when the item or marking is questionable. In our Luftwaffe dagger forum is many bootknives and all that I have seen do not have this marking. This was my challenge for reference to be brought forward.

Thank you Peter for pointing out the scratching on the ricasso area of the blade it looked stamped to me.. But good eyes to you ... Either way it is post war or alot of HJ knives with Germany as seen here could be called authentic also.

This is a great thread! regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

For $100 did you also have the chaps arms off as well?
    Nice pick up. Well done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast